Should we be involved in this

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Anglian, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Anglian

Anglian Well-Known Member Charter Member Cager

Ratings:
    +347
    i see the total British armaments to to the sorties into Syria to rightly destroy Assad’s chemical production was some clapped out Tornados built in 1979, firing a total of 8 missiles of a 105 total, no Royal Naval surface vessel is capable of firing missiles,
    The Typhoons won’t be capable of firing the latest missile till next year, I just hope that the Russians, should WW3 break out be in a worse state of readiness than the British, nothing worse than poking a bear with a shitty stick and be unprepared for its reaction, as usual the British politicians expect the poorly equipped forces to work miracles, we have never in British history been prepared for any conflict but just muddle through, thanks to our crap politicians, I got tired of it when I was in the mob, things don’t seem any better, Rant over

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  2. Davita

Davita Well-Known Member Charter Member

Ratings:
    +551
    I agree with Anglian's observation that British politicians, and the general public, expect the military to work miracles but never seem to want to fund it adequately.
    I observed for myself, during my 22 years in the RAF, that we got the short-end of any budget.
    I recall given a questionaire on how to save money. I wrote we should cancel all VIP travel on RAF transport aircraft for politicos.....the RAF's response was to make the troops wear their uniform boots longer before being able to exchange for new....:doh:

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  3. waarmstrong

waarmstrong Well-Known Member Charter Member Cager

Ratings:
    +262
    I would certainly favor the UK taxpayers shouldering a much greater burden in order to support modernizing its armed forces, especially if it means the American taxpayers burden will be correspondingly reduced.

4. Fred

Fred Member

Ratings:
    +64
    The UK's involvement was token, and a red flag to a bull.
    May, the idiot bitch of a PM, was sucking Trump's penis in this especially stupid attack.

Next minute some dick will be moaning about refugees and terrorism, even though the UK help cause both issues.

5. scouser59

scouser59 Member Charter Member Cager

Ratings:
    +91
    Dont hold back ya

6. Fred

Fred Member

Ratings:
    +64
    I try to be subtle but I'm from Barnsley so I can't help it.

7. vocalneal

vocalneal Active Member Cager

Ratings:
    +319
    The cruise missile is from 2001. Tornado GR4 could be as late as a 2003 . It is a specialty ground attack aircraft. The Syrian sites were hit by 9 US Tomahawks, 8 British Storm Shadows (means 4 aircraft) and five naval cruise missiles and two French Scalp cruise missiles ( same as Storm Shadow).

Looks like pretty even to me. Syria's chemical weapons have a sordid history and I think the last attack was the last straw.

As a previous female prime minister said. "We will fight on principle or we will not fight at all"

If one pays UK taxes those 8 missiles cost around 16 million pounds.

8. Dan

Dan Active Member Charter Member Cager

Ratings:
    +56
    For a man who claims he wants to protect Syrian civilians, Donald Trump has certainly done an awful job taking them in as refugees.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. waarmstrong

waarmstrong Well-Known Member Charter Member Cager

Ratings:
    +262
    Perhaps you have noticed, one thing our President is not is consistent.

Oh, and I am putting Barnsley, on my bucket list.

10. Anglian

Ratings:
    +347
    Well after the fiasco of the Iraq invasion, the pointless invasion of Afghanistan which after I think it’s 16 years has got nowhere, the soviets tried for 20 years, it finished them, Syria I believe has 12 factions all fighting each other, now glory be, the Saudi’s have now thrown their hat in the ring, the Turks are on the sideline, so where is all this leading us, millions of refugees who nobody wants, I often wonder about the friends I had in Damascus, it’s like watching and avalanche racking down a hill to destroy a village and there is nothing you can do

11. IndoTom

IndoTom Member

Ratings:
    +10
    I think you forgot to hit the CAGE button on your controller...

12. IndoTom

IndoTom Member

Ratings:
    +10
    I think the recent missle strike was all about Trump looking tough prior to the North Korean talks.

13. Anglian

Ratings:
    +347
    Sadly Fred isn’t a cage member , yet

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
  14. vocalneal

Ratings:
    +319
    Here's the band but they are in Luxembourg. Barnley doesn't look as good. Tha knows!

15. Davita

Ratings:
    +551
    If you add to Anglian's list of countries others like Libya, Nigeria, Somalia, Sudan, N. Ireland, Yugoslavia, Burma, Sri Lanka, Philippines..... there is one common denominator...all the hatred and violence have a religious connection.

16. atlantis

atlantis
    Moderator Cager

Ratings:
    +518
    Barnsley or not, I kindly ask you to watch your language before posting on the open board. I've recently take a look at some of your expat.com's post and it seems that you were able to keep it civil there. Please do so here too so that you stick with us long enough to gain Cage privileges.
    Thanks..

17. vocalneal

Ratings:
    +319
    I'm not convinced. Much of it is tribal or warlord related and cloaked in Islam.

18. Davita

Ratings:
    +551
    That's one connection I meant when I said....'all the hatred and violence have a religious connection.'

19. Fred

Fred Member

Ratings:
    +64
    Cloaked in Islam - ner
    The extremist elements use Islam as an excuse but that bunch are only interested in power, cash, and all the women they can rape.
    Assad doesn't give a flying rats about anything except cash and power.
    The Russians are after a staging post in the middle East
    The US is after arms sales and anything that upsets Iran.
    Israel is a dead duck, or will be in not that many years because the world population of Jews is dropping rapidly and it just won't be sustainable, so that set are after doing anything that keeps their bent system running as long as possible.

Long and the short is simple.
    Assad is a total pig and a dog but his run of killing people would have been far shorter and there would have been so much less damage if the various foreign powers had kept their idiotic noses out.

20. Anglian

Ratings:
    +347
    The Russians are desperate to keep their naval base, now building up their stay, I think Assad doesn’t realise he shouldn’t have got into bed with the bear, still they will probably go bankrupt again