Sample domestic worker contract

Discussion in 'Household Staff' started by golden, Jun 14, 2017.

1. golden

golden New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi everyone,
    Not sure if this is the right place. I'm helping a friend with preparing a contact between her and her new nanny. Does anyone has a template/sample contract? I can surely tweak here and there. Very thankful if you can share with me.

Have a great everyone and thanks again.

2. Smallworld

Smallworld Active Member Charter Member Cager

Ratings:
    +84
    Not sure if contract will help. All our staff are from agency (babysitter, maid, driver).

Maybe here you can find something:
    https://www.kbrikualalumpur.org/index.php/tenaga-kerja/kontrak-kerja-tenaga-kerja-indonesia-tki

3. dafluff

dafluff
    Moderator Cager

Ratings:
    +516
    I think a contract for informal domestic workers is pretty much unheard of. If you hire a worker from an agency, the agency may have a contract for the terms between you and the agency, but usually no contract between you and the worker directly.

In my experience with domestic workers, even if I had a contract, it would be almost impossible (and certainly not worth it) to enforce anyway.

4. nd_eric_77

nd_eric_77 Member Charter Member Cager

Ratings:
    +55
    This has been our experience as well. When we hired through an expensive yayasan, we had a lengthy contract... between the yayasan and us. More recently, we use "makalars", and we have no written contract at all. Domestic work is considered to be an "informal" sector here, and as such does not usually involve formal contracts.

Furthermore, we have never felt it necessary to add a bunch of paperwork to the process. We pay her on time, and she performs her duties satisfactorily.

5. dafluff

dafluff
    Moderator Cager

Ratings:
    +516
    Exactly this....I would lay out the expectations ahead of time: salary, work hours, holidays, etc

This article (particularly step 3) in our sister site should cover all the basics.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
  6. William King

William King Well-Known Member Charter Member Cager

Ratings:
    +264
    Yup. Never used a contract either.

7. waarmstrong

waarmstrong Well-Known Member Charter Member Cager

Ratings:
    +276
    In my novice naivete, I used to use a contract, but don't bother any more. A contract is essentially worth next to nothing in the current Indonesian domestic staffing environment. I am speaking about Jakarta, mind you, perhaps it is completely different in other geographic settings.

8. Anglian

Anglian Well-Known Member Charter Member Cager

Ratings:
    +347
    Aren't most contracts here worthless,

9. Banana72

Banana72 Member Charter Member Cager

Ratings:
    +26
    Yes, especially for domestic workers. That Rp 6,000,- for 'materai' is better used somewhere else maybe a bowl of bubur ayam or something.