Opinions on Hi-Scope schools

Discussion in 'Schooling and Education' started by azrielariel, May 14, 2018.

1. azrielariel

azrielariel New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    It's getting close to the first scouting trip. This one is to lay the groundwork for the little ones school and from there find a place to live (very near by). The Hi-scope schools were said to be fairly good. Does anyone have their munchkins in one of these? What might they be like for a 5 and 7 year old? The plan is to go there for about 5 years and then come back. From what I've seen on-line they seem ok but as is sometimes the case with advertising, it may not be what you expect.

2. waarmstrong

waarmstrong Well-Known Member Charter Member Cager

Ratings:
    +154
    Our daughter attended High Scope Cilandak through the third grade. We picked the school for several reasons, but mostly because it fit with our goal of introducing to our daughter, Indonesia language and culture as part of a well rounded up-bringing for a mixed marriage child. High Scope is a national plus, bilingual school. We were planning for her to attend through the 6th grade before returning to the States for middle and high school.

The school was pretty good academically, but culture-wise we got a bit more than we wanted. The attitudes of many of the students and their parents oozed class consciousness entitlement, and ostentatious, vulgar and pretentious displays of wealth and connection, as well as disdain for any sort of egalitarian ideas. The school, knowing from where its financial well being derived, sucked up to that element.

Such a mind set was beginning to make an impression; we decided to accelerate our move date.

Last edited: May 15, 2018
  3. azrielariel

azrielariel New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I see it here within the wife's group of friends as well. The bigger the gap between haves and have nots the more compelled some feel to forcibly demonstrate they're an elite, whether they can afford it or not. I know most can't. I saw that by virtue of there being a star bucks in jakarta and they charge about the same price as they do here. "They want to be western" is what I was told. That's lame. I look at intrinsic value, not perception. 7-11 coffee is just as good and cost 1/4. As my wife says, I am beyond cheap and won't waste money to impress anyone. People don't realize no one really cares. It's not that hard to appear wealthy in a poor country and making a would be snob feel stupid isn't hard to do. Done that more times than I care to remember. Bottom line is, I'll have to stay on top of where the noses are pointed.

4. William King

William King Well-Known Member Charter Member Cager

Ratings:
    +230
    I know of the schools, they are very good and very affordable.

5. Minuteman

Minuteman Member Charter Member Cager

Ratings:
    +15
    When my son started the 1st grade in a "national plus" school, I anticipated the class status and race problems. It is a mostly Chinese Indonesian school with a good curriculum. I told my son AND the teaching staff that if he had to defend himself that he had my express permission to kick butt and then report to the staff. He did pretty well, never lost a fight and I was only called in twice in 11 years. He is now nearly 17, 6 feet 1 inch tall, a major player on the school basketball team and is tri-lingual: English, Indonesian and Mandarin...fluent in all.

6. azrielariel

azrielariel New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Boxing may be part of the curriculum. It's like any other school then. My son is in Kindergarten here and has already been called in a couple times for the usual things boys do.

7. Scooterindo

Scooterindo Active Member Charter Member Cager

Ratings:
    +70
    Both our kids have attended high scope in Bali for a good few years now.
    They are a good school to be honest and I have a pretty good relationship with the boys teachers and the headmistress is a personal friend.

They paint themselves as a very progressive school and in some ways they are but they still struggle to adequately handle issues of bullying and religious education is the usual brainwashing bullshit. I have confronted the school on both issues.

The boys eventually realised that as twins they hold the advantage and the pair of them gave the bully a good hiding. My wife had also confronted the school a number of times on the issue and when the call came she pointed out that she had already pointed out that their limp wristed "problem solving sessions" they do with the kids was a waste of time and if they had grown some balls and dealt with it like responsible adults in charge of a school then it wouldn't have resulted in a smashed laptop and a broken nose.

As for the religion shit I have argued the case that I want my boys to learn a bit about Christianity and Hinduism (we do live in Bali FFS) but they flatly refuse even as an extracurricular lesson because as muslims they can only learn about Islam.
    The boys are 13 now and we discuss things on the subject, my kids soak this up and now challenge the RE teacher who doesn't answer their questions and wont engage in any debate - so its the usual brainwashing "accept what I say mentality"

Apart from that generally we are very happy with the school and its curriculum. The homework regime can be a bit heavy. But the lessons are interesting and the kids seem to enjoy school. The snobbery aspect of the parents isn't an issue in Bali and I'm pleased that my kids transcend all the economic spectrums of their school friends without issue or prejudice.