MH370 Anniversary

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Davita, Mar 8, 2017.

1. Davita

Davita Well-Known Member Charter Member

Ratings:
    +425
    Today is the 3rd Anniversary of the disappearance of MH 370 flight from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing with 239 people on board....

On that fateful night, three years ago, an unidentified aircraft flew over Butterworth and the north tip of Penang. This was observed by military radar in KL.......and yet they did nothing, all the while multi-all-weather-fighter aircraft lay idle on the ground at RMAF Butterworth.
    It was later concluded it must have been MH370, yet the search and rescue effort for MH370 was directed in the Gulf of Thailand, which wasted valuable time for the black-box transponder to continue to work.
    This question of why the fighters at Butterworth weren't scrambled to identify an errant aircraft flying over a military installation has never been answered, and no-one has been held accountable. That action alone may have saved lives.

Given the Malaysian Gov't are now embroiled over their situation vis a vis North Korea I feel anything to do with MH370 is out of their sight....and under the carpet.

This will remain on of the great mysteries of our generation and imo should be front and foremost to explain..we have no way to know the same problem that caused its disappearance isn't still there.

At least Australia recognizes our duty to find out and at least memorialize...well done Australia....

"Today marks the third anniversary of the disappearance of Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 and its 239 passengers and crew from 14 different countries.
    Federal Minister for Infrastructure and Transport, Darren Chester today spoke at a National Memorial Service held for the families and friends of the seven passengers on board MH370 who called Australia home.“Those on board MH370 will not be forgotten and our thoughts remain with their family and friends,†Mr Chester said.“It has been an honour today to be joined by the loved ones who have suffered a great loss. “The disappearance of MH370 is one of the great mysteries of our time and led to the largest search in aviation history.
    "The Australian Government is proud to have taken a strong leadership role and led both the surface search in the southern Indian Ocean and the subsequent underwater search for the missing aircraft.â€
    Mr Chester also confirmed the Australian and Western Australian governments were working together to establish and install a permanent memorial in Perth honouring all on board MH370.
    “I believe a permanent memorial would be an important way to honour everyone on board MH370 and a place of quiet reflection for family members and friends. My goal is to have it installed as soon as possible.â€

What a pity the Malaysian Gov't aren't as sympathetic, nor forthcoming with help.

2. Davita

Ratings:
    +425
  3. Puspawarna

Puspawarna
    Moderator Cager

Ratings:
    +241
    Makes sense - I hope you are right, and that they do find the wreckage/flight recorders. It would be good to solve the mystery of what happened. I feel so bad for the family members, especially the ones who still deny that any of the wreckage found is from the plane, and still live under a false hope that their loved ones are being held captive on an island somewhere, or something like that.

4. waarmstrong

waarmstrong Well-Known Member Charter Member Cager

Ratings:
    +154
    The searchers, I heard on the news here, plan to use untethered drones that are, hopefully, technologically superior to the devices used in the initial search.

5. Balifrog

Balifrog Member

Ratings:
    +28
    Something laying flat (in pieces) on the bottom of a deep ocean is very, very difficult to find.
    I can not imagine some military radars did not see this flight and investigate it. Every plane sends permanently an IFF signal that indicates its characteristics. No IFF signal is systematically treated as "hostile"
    Ex Navy radar / sonar operator, but looong time ago.

6. Davita

Ratings:
    +425
    The IFF (Identification Friend or Foe) you mention is for a military aircraft as it has more modes than the transponder on a civilian aircraft.
    In MH370 case the transponder was purposely switched off.
    The Malaysian military radar controllers did, eventually, concede they saw an unidentified aircraft fly a reverse route over N. Malaysia and RMAF Butterworth but they didn't do anything.
    Here's a sped-up Utube of following the transponder signal until it went out....that's when it was switched off. The Malaysians determined it had crashed into the Gulf of Thailand/South China Sea and wasted valuable time in a search there.....if the military had informed everyone then that could have generated a different outcome.
    https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...11DD063433F220B151FD11DD063433F220B&FORM=VIRE

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  7. Davita

Ratings:
    +425
  8. Davita

Ratings:
    +425
    Today marks the fourth anniversary of the missing MH370. The search continues but will end soon and, if they don't find it this time, I think it will be lost forever. This will mean MH370 will the greatest aviation mystery.

9. waarmstrong

Ratings:
    +154
    Fodder for conspiracy fans.

10. tokektokek

tokektokek Member Charter Member Cager

Ratings:
    +25
    I would have thought they will keep searching for a while yet, after all they don't get paid unless they find it right?

11. Davita

Ratings:
    +425
    The US Company that has the contract had 90 days to find it but they were 90 'search' days, not including going to Freemantle to refuel and some days couldn't search because of weather. They predict that by June they will terminate the search as the weather becomes too severe.... which is consistent with previous searches.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/malaysia-search-missing-plane-end-june-53483236

Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
  12. Mark2017

Mark2017 Member

Ratings:
    +7
  13. waarmstrong

Ratings:
    +154
    I am not much for conspiratorial cover up notions when it comes to unexplained disappearances, especially when such a possible discovery as Mr. McMahon has put forward can be easily checked out by virtually any adventurer with a seaworthy craft and a bit of idle time to kill.

14. R Cameron

R Cameron Member Charter Member Cager

Ratings:
    +66
    He makes no claim to have visited the site, yet claims the aircraft, which he has seen only from Google Earth and through at least a few meters of water, is full of bullet holes. Not a good way to be taken seriously.

15. Mark2017

Mark2017 Member

Ratings:
    +7
    There would be hundreds of people coming up with their own scenarios and explainations, some more whacky than others.

Not sure why media gave some attention to this guy, nonetheless my mind still boggles as to how a whole aircraft can be lost. Anyway, hope that company still has time to search for it. I too am against any conspiracy theories put forward.

16. Scooterindo

Scooterindo Active Member Charter Member Cager

Ratings:
    +70
    Whilst not a conspiracy theorist as such I am having a hard time accepting that in this day and age with all the technology available to government/military bodies, such as satellite imagery and the like, an aircraft the size of MH370 can just drop off the face of the earth without a solitary trace of any description.

17. R Cameron

Ratings:
    +66
    There have been some traces, some pieces have washed up near Africa (Reunion Island?). I think it's mostly a testament to how massive and uninhabited the Indian Ocean is

18. Balifrog

Balifrog Member

Ratings:
    +28
  19. R Cameron

Ratings:
    +66
    I took the numbers from the article and put them on a map, I think it's a helpful visual representation.

A: Initial 3 year search area mapped. 710,000 sq km
    B: Portion of initial search area mapped in high resolution. 120,000 sq km
    C: New search area of Ocean Infinity. 25,000 sq km

[​IMG]

NOTE: The shape and location of these areas I measured has no significance other than to show comparative surface area. The shape and actual location of the search areas is likely quite different.