1. Pilgrimrunner

Pilgrimrunner New Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Hi all,
    I'm a keen runner and there doesn't seem to be any post here about it so I thought I'd start one.
    We can discuss any sort of running, jogging, races, training, clubs, kit, fitness etc etc.
    I'm not even sure if there is much interest in running amongst expats here but we'll see anyway.

There seems to be a fairly healthy running culture here in Jakarta/Tangerang and I took part in the Prasmul Olympics10Km race the weekend before last in BSD,which had a great turn out and was very well organised and marshaled throughout.

A few years ago when I was staying in the center of Jakarta, I was able to make the most of the many ''Car-Free-Sunday's'' up and down Thamrin, there were thousands of people running, walking, jogging or cycling, which just proved that the people of Jakarta wanted and needed some space to stretch their legs and get some fresh air.

Races seem hard to find or are not well advertised, or maybe I am just not looking in the right place yet, but I have found this site which lists the major events this year...

https://marathons.ahotu.com/calendar

There's also this cheeky little event if you are feeling very adventurous (and can qualify for entry too)...
    http://www.sentulhilltrailrun.com/index.php

I have another race lined up in May, the JCO 10K in Mall@Alam Sutera so will be training and preparing for that in the coming weeks.
    https://jco.run/

Anyone else have anything line up?

2. Puspawarna

Puspawarna
    Moderator Cager

Ratings:
    +278
    Are you a member of Jakarta Free Spirit? If not, you might want to look into them.

I run, quite regularly, but don't do races or anything lengthy - just a 5k nearly every day up and down my street. It's good for my health, I'm sure, but not exactly what you are looking for!

3. Pilgrimrunner

Pilgrimrunner New Member

Ratings:
    +3
    I did look up Jakarta Free Spirits along with many other groups and clubs I saw at the last race but haven't done too much about it.
    I'm not looking for anything in particular, I just want to get people talking about it and try and help people out if possible : )
    Good effort on the 5k daily run by the way.

4. Pilgrimrunner

Pilgrimrunner New Member

Ratings:
    +3
  5. vocalneal

vocalneal Active Member Cager

Ratings:
    +292
    Hash House Harriers. Some of them run :whistle: But it is not about winning.:spit:

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
  6. Pilgrimrunner

Pilgrimrunner New Member

Ratings:
    +3
    HHH is more like a drinking club from my limited experience with them in some far flung places :rockon:

7. scouser59

scouser59 Member Charter Member Cager

Ratings:
    +83
    Great memories of the hash, running and social , in some of those far flung places , the mogadishu hash was the only fun in town , great exercise and magic people :)

8. Pilgrimrunner

Pilgrimrunner New Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Hashing in Mogadishu sounds a bit dodgy and hazaradous!

I managed a Hash in Quito, Ecuador an also Sarajevo, fun times too.

9. vocalneal

Ratings:
    +292

...with a running problem.

Some of them run :party:

10. Travellingchez

Travellingchez Member Charter Member Cager

Ratings:
    +30
    I got more and more into running due to hash and less into the drinking. I try to do an event once a month with friends across Indonesia. Though I've also branched out to cycling and triathlons. Some good sites to look at are http://lariku.info http://ayolari.in/jadwal/ https://www.ceritalari.com/running-calendars/ plus dunia lari.
    There are tons of running events . Might see you on one soon. My next is the rinjani trail run then Bali marathon. With maybe one or two others in between.

11. Travellingchez

Travellingchez Member Charter Member Cager

Ratings:
    +30
    Also once you have registered for some you will get emails of other runs that they are also organising.

12. scouser59

scouser59 Member Charter Member Cager

Ratings:
    +83
    It was before the war started 35 years ago , still a bit dodgy but great people , now for sure Id be target practice .

13. vocalneal

Ratings:
    +292
    There is always time....

14. waarmstrong

waarmstrong Well-Known Member Charter Member Cager

Ratings:
    +196
    No place to run in my southeast Jakarta neighborhood; I have a treadmill and actually use it.

15. Puspawarna

Puspawarna
    Moderator Cager

Ratings:
    +278
    If I'm not mistaken, the weather where you are now includes 2-3 days every year where it is warm enough to run outside. Have you availed yourself of the opportunity?

I ran on a treadmill for years before switching to outside running. Runners like to poo-poo the quality of treadmill runs, but I've always read that you can compensate by increasing the incline on the treadmill a little, so I tried to have at least a slight incline the entire treadmill session.

Still, when I started running out-of-doors, I found it very different. I don't know that it was better or worse, but it sure uses different muscles. I was sore for a while until I adapted. Now I suppose a good treadmill session would make me sore.

16. vocalneal

Ratings:
    +292
    I hear you. Same here one really has to WANT TO run to go anywhere. I'd like to just leave my house and....

Hash tonight . Only a short squirt in a taxi :clap2:

17. waarmstrong

Ratings:
    +196
    The problem is not the weather. There is virtually no place to run, unless you can run as fast as a motorized conveyance and thus are able to keep up with traffic. Biking might be an option, but my wife has vetoed that bill.

18. Puspawarna

Puspawarna
    Moderator Cager

Ratings:
    +278
    What I meant was, at your place in the US there is no area nearby where you can run? Jakarta I can fully believe offers no outside opportunities.

We live on a quiet street in Kebayoran Baru right now - so to do my outdoor runs I run up and down the street over and over. One kilometer is about 4.5x the length of the street. My husband thinks that is too boring, so he braves the traffic and the broken sidewalks and has a route that takes him all around our neighborhood - I think he is crazy and shouldn't do it.

19. waarmstrong

Ratings:
    +196
    I have a membership in the Central College "Sports Club" which provides access to the field house (indoor track) and a large exercise and weight facility. Although the place is not open on school breaks and holidays, it is dirt cheap and within easy walking distance. I do a daily winter routine there that includes walking to and from when the temperature is above 20 degrees F; during the summer, I move my routine outside, walking, jogging and/or biking around town and the nearby Red Rock Reservoir recreational trails. (I have a backup Schwinn Airdyne for use, in theory, anyway, during inclement weather and when Central is closed.)

Jakarta is nothing like Pella, Iowa, in many ways, but my neighbors in both places are remarkably similar, in a very good way.

20. Wisnu

Wisnu Member Charter Member

Ratings:
    +23
    I love running/jogging too. Not for competition though, more to maintain my stamina and BMI.

My routine is typically 8 – 10 km every morning on weekdays; and tennis and or Badminton for weekends.

The nice thing with running is, you can do anywhere, anytime.
    Sure you can always find an excuse not to do so.

I live in Kotawisata when In Indonesia, so outdoor running is very convenient.
    Here, in Cairo where I spend most of my time, it’s also easy to run outdoor; or if not possible like during sandstorm last week, I’m okay with treadmill.

Holiday is also not good reason for not running. I enjoy running in the 4 deg. C drizzling in Oslo in November, very warm morning summer in Marsa Alam or Hurghada, very humid lembeh strait resort in December, frozen Meteora in February morning did not stop me either. Among my fav places for jogging are peak district, gorges du verdon and parc national des calanques.

So far, the only place I don’t run when I’m in holiday is the LOB in Komodo. The boat is too small and don’t want to wake up other guest at 05:00 am in the morning.

I like my Garmin Fenix 5 and use MapMyRun app as well. So if you are Garmin user or using MapMyRun we can connect.