Just a heads up about a possible change in requirements for teachers

Discussion in 'Visas, Permits and Immigration' started by ChrisTex, Feb 12, 2018.

1. ChrisTex

ChrisTex Member Charter Member Cager

Ratings:
    +45
    I haven't seen this posted anywhere yet, but since from time to time questions about work visas for teachers come up, figure I would share.

The Indonesian government is thinking/planning (not sure what stage they are in) on changing the work visa requirements for teachers. This might be just for ESL teachers, not entirely sure, and the company I work for is negotiating with the government.

Current requirements: Bachelors Degree (any field), TEFL Certificate, 1 year teaching experience.

Proposed Change: Bachelors Degree (Education, English Lit.), TEFL certificate, 3-5 years teaching experience.

I heard this from someone at work who heard it from someone else. Just wanted to share what I have heard in case the changes are made soon. If I hear anything else, I'll update this.

2. Bad_azz

Bad_azz Well-Known Member Charter Member Cager

Ratings:
    +399
    I thought the current requirements already were 5 years experience in the subject/grade taught + a degree related to the subject taught.

I detect a potential /further exodus of teachers

3. lifelongexpat

lifelongexpat Active Member Cager

Ratings:
    +111
    If what ChrisTex says is correct, the requirements for language centres will be pretty much in line with what an international school looks for.

Comparing these two job ads that have been posted here on the forum, anyone with the credentials would surely apply for the international school position.

https://forum.expatindo.org/threads/full-time-teaching-positions-available-indonesia.3345/

https://forum.expatindo.org/threads/expatriate-english-teacher-needed-july-2018-start.3342/

Perhaps it could spell the end of expatriate teachers being found in language centres.

4. William King

William King Well-Known Member Charter Member Cager

Ratings:
    +270
    Many language centres no longer have expat teachers as it is...

5. William King

William King Well-Known Member Charter Member Cager

Ratings:
    +270
    That is the requirement for formal schools.

6. lifelongexpat

lifelongexpat Active Member Cager

Ratings:
    +111
    So they're using local teachers?

7. ChrisTex

Ratings:
    +45
    Yes there are local teachers, but not all are full time. At my center, there are only three full time(contract) teachers. The rest are part time(paid by the class).

In order to even be considered, the following is asked:

-What was their degree in.

-On a prefeicentcy test, they score a C1 or C2.

-Did they study through the center. This isn't a deal breaker, but I know at least 3 of the 4 part time teachers at the center I am at have. Two were my boss' former students.

-Have hey lived/studied abroad. Again not a deal breaker.

-Teaching experience. Not a deal breaker.

They will have to create a lesson plan for a demo class where the academic manager is present.

8. ChrisTex

Ratings:
    +45
    This is what EF English First has on their job postings on LinkedIn.

JOB REQUIREMENTS

• A Bachelor's Degree
    • A TEFL Certification (EF TEFL sponsorship available)
    • Passport holder from UK, USA, Canada, Ireland, Australia, or New Zealand[I have seen South Africa included here before]
    • The ability to obtain a clear background check
    • Ability to live abroad for at least one year

9. atlantis

atlantis
    Moderator Cager

Ratings:
    +593
    I visited EF Manado and asked them if they had any foreign teacher, preferably native speaker. They looked at me surprised as in "what a weird idea".

10. Smallworld

Smallworld Active Member Charter Member Cager

Ratings:
    +84
    I also wonder why there are no Malaysians, Philippines, Singaporeans on that list of passport holders.

11. nd_eric_77

nd_eric_77 Member Charter Member Cager

Ratings:
    +55
    It appears that the old refrain to would-be expats of "Well, you can always go teach at EF" is no longer applicable. I am glad I beefed up my credentials before this latest round of requirements came into enforcement. For what it is worth, a holder of a bachelor's degree other than English / Education and teaching certificate can certainly still teach in Indonesia, but needs to (on paper at least) be teaching a subject related to his/her degree.

12. ChrisTex

Ratings:
    +45
    From what I was told by one manager from an EF school, teachers from the Philippines are treated as the same as local teachers in terms of pay.