Jakarta Overpass

Discussion in 'In the News' started by sul1995, Mar 12, 2018.

1. sul1995

sul1995 Member Charter Member Cager

Ratings:
    +35
    It was found out that an overpass being constructed in Jakarta used 4 instead of 12 rebars as reported by Kompas https://www.pressreader.com/indonesia/kompas/20180308/281500751760320

Moreover, the size of rebar used is between 19-25 mm instead of 32 mm.

If you are brave enough to use it or pass under it (when finished), maybe you'd like to say your prayers first?

2. Anglian

Anglian Well-Known Member Charter Member Cager

Ratings:
    +347
    I wonder driving round jakarta how safe these flyovers are, there is quite an impressive train over pass at Lebak Bulas, I’m wondering how safe it will be, I don’t fancy traveling underground either during the rainy season, still we will see, but you only have to see how the buses, aircraft and ships are maintained

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  3. sul1995

Ratings:
    +35
    As someone told me, "Indonesians can build, but they cannot maintain it". In other words, Indonesia still needs expat managers and technicians.

4. waarmstrong

waarmstrong Well-Known Member Charter Member Cager

Ratings:
    +258
    Well, lately I have been wondering if our Amtrak staff trained in Jakarta.

5. Euc-

Euc- Active Member Charter Member Cager

Ratings:
    +133
    Pretty standard in construction in these regions for the contractors to not follow the actual design drawings to make more profit, unfortunately. I do hope that after all these accidents recently they are going to implement some stronger controls and actually file criminal charges, but considering the corruption involved I highly doubt to see meaningful change.

6. sul1995

Ratings:
    +35
    The contractor is a state-owned enterprise, convicting them is like a slap in the face of the government. BTW, how to check if already casted in concrete, is there an equipment that works like an x-ray to see inside the concrete, what if it is found that substandard or insufficient materials are used, are they going to tore all of it down?

7. Anglian

Anglian Well-Known Member Charter Member Cager

Ratings:
    +347
    Well X-ray should do it, , where would you start, there’s miles already, perhaps they will just wait till it all falls down

8. Balifrog

Balifrog Member

Ratings:
    +43
    Sound a big too much of a "downsizing" for anybody to risk that IMO.
    Worked in all SEA in construction, never saw cheating at that level.
    Now using less cement, lower grade cement, dubious origin and lower grade Rbars, yes....