It's Official! We're Coming Back

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by cup1981, Jan 11, 2018.

1. cup1981

cup1981 New Member

Ratings:
    +3
    It's official! My wife and I just bought tickets back to Indo. We're set to depart the U.S. on August 14, 2018. We had to set the date back so far because we still need to sort through our life here: sell our house, cars and stuff, get my freelance work in order to survive over there, and other things.

But, we are coming back! We'll likely land in Tasikmalaya first while we sort out more permanent living arrangements since it's so much cheaper than Bandung. Ultimately, we will almost certainly end up in Bandung in a year or so, since we have a relative in a high government position there whose name we can drop should corruption take a turn toward us.

Things can still change and this could end up being just being a vacation, but that seems unlikely at this point. :)

2. El_Goretto

El_Goretto
    Moderator Cager

Ratings:
    +139
    Congratulations on the big jump! This year is going to fly for you and before you know it you will wake up one morning and realize your life is about to dramatically change in a couple hours when you step on the plane!

3. cup1981

cup1981 New Member

Ratings:
    +3
    @El_Goretto Yup, it's going to be a wild and crazy seven months of preparation, and things will only get wilder once we land :).

4. vocalneal

vocalneal Active Member Cager

Ratings:
    +209
    Who knew there was a place in Indonesia called Bengkok?

5. Davita

Davita Well-Known Member Charter Member

Ratings:
    +338
    Exciting times ahead cup1981....I did something similar about ten years ago but my decision process was more slower than yours and I still regret some of them.
    My concern was your last sentence where you write that you are maybe still looking at the trip as a vacation.....in that case I'd suggest not burning all your bridges to the past until you are 100% committed.
    I sold everything, including a very large house in Vancouver, to come to Indonesia and wish I'd bought an apartment which I could have rented out or used when re-visiting. The prices have increased so high now I cannot afford to return for any length of time.....even if I wished to do that.
    Indonesia has been very stable and secure since I came her but there is an underlying issue with the extremists that may boil and make life here intolerable for foreigners. I would have liked to have a plan B, in that case, but I severed that by selling-up back in Canada and I now regret doing that.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  6. cup1981

cup1981 New Member

Ratings:
    +3
    @Davita The vacation part was only if things don't go as planned before we leave. If everything goes according to plan by the time we leave, it will be a permanent move. The ones that can break it to just being a vacation include if the house doesn't sell and if I cannot find enough freelance work to support us comfortably before we leave.

I have debated renting out our house here... I am all for it, but my wife isn't. I'll continue working on her on that end, as I would like to have a home to come to when we visit or if we have no choice but to return. She fears we'll lose renters and lose the house or renters may destroy it. You definitely make a great point there.

Having stayed in Tasikmalaya for a few years before, we saw our fair share of extremism here and there. We'll definitely keep a nice nest egg saved up just in case we need to bolt quickly.

7. Puspawarna

Puspawarna
    Moderator Cager

Ratings:
    +184
    Hurray! This will be such an exciting time for you.

Does your wife talk to your kids in Indonesian? I hope so. It will make the transition easier for them if they are already working on becoming fully bilingual.

8. Bad_azz

Bad_azz Well-Known Member Charter Member Cager

Ratings:
    +258
    Yay, I am excited for you. I also don't envy you the packing up & selling etc

At least you have plenty of time,
    I ended up with 4 weeks to clear a 4 bedroomed house & deal with all sorts of other stuff. It wasn't fun at all but my circumstances were a bit more extreme.

Oh what I would have brought with me if I'd had the time to think & plan properly.