How many hours people should works per a week according to the law?

Discussion in 'Employment Law' started by Saudade, Feb 20, 2018.

1. Saudade

Saudade Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Please could somebody tell me how many hours per a week according to the law, a person in Indonesia has to work? Because I see many people working 6 days per a week and 8 hours per a day, is 48 hours the normal?
    The one hour break for lunch is included or not on the 8 hours? is paid?
    Terimakasi

2. gemima

gemima Member

Ratings:
    +55
    I got a labour report a few years ago before moving here and it states the following:

The 2003 Manpower Law provides for a normal working week of no more than 40 hours, spread out over either
    (Article 77 (2)):
    • seven hours a day, six days a week, or
    • eight hours a day over five days a week.
    In practice, as civil servants and employees of state−owned enterprises have been switched to the five−day week, many
    private companies have followed suit. N.B. Certain industries, such as the oil and gas sectors, can arrange
    for more flexible working schedules by obtaining special permission from the Ministry of Manpower.
    Employees are entitled to a minimum daily rest period of 30 minutes after four hours of consecutive work; weekly, one
    day of rest is required following a six−day working week, or two days of rest following a five−day working week
    (Article 79).
    Hope that helps!

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. Saudade

Saudade Member

Ratings:
    +1
    thanks a lot gemima, very clear information, I only still have a doubt, is the one hour break part of the 8 hours per a day?

4. gemima

gemima Member

Ratings:
    +55
    My staff work from 8am through to 5pm with a break at 12 for 1 hour. This way the staff get a break after working 4 hours (8-12). Then they get a break (or they finish) at 5pm after the next 4 hour period.

Seems like technically I could force them to take only a 30 min break at 12 but then i would need to finish the working day at 4.30 so better they get the full hour.

5. steveandpenny

steveandpenny Active Member Cager

Ratings:
    +274
    Is there a differnce here with a hourly or a salaried employee. If there is a question what that is ...here' what it is in the states. A hourly employee works by the hour and is covered by labor laws that include a 40 work week, overtime, lunch and breaks. A 40 hr work week can be 4 days a week 10 hrs a day or 5 days a week 8hours a day.

A salaried employee (mostly manaement but not alwas) is plyed either a weekly or monthly set amount. The amount is the same if he works 10 hrs a week or 60 hrs a week. He has much less legal protection.

6. Saudade

Saudade Member

Ratings:
    +1
    so that means the one hour break is not considerate in Indonesia, part of the work hours right? I may be wrong but I think in western countries the one hour break is part of the 8 hours isn't it? please, this is a question for expats living in Indonesia, what about in USA? or in Australia?
    thanks

7. Saudade

Saudade Member

Ratings:
    +1
    so that means the one hour break is not considerate in Indonesia, part of the work hours right? I may be wrong but I think in western countries the one hour break is part of the 8 hours isn't it? please, this is a question for expats living in Indonesia, what about in USA? or in Australia?
    thanks

8. gemima

gemima Member

Ratings:
    +55
    Yes, the 1 hour break i described isn't included in their hours worked.
    I cannot speak for the USA (I imagine their laws are rather more lax considering they don't seem to have many protections for workers). In Ireland I had a 30 minute break for lunch that wasn't included in my working hours. I imagine there might be some more restrictive labor laws in other EU countries/ Australia. I'm sure this information is easily available on individual national websites.

9. Smallworld

Smallworld Active Member Charter Member Cager

Ratings:
    +84
    Your break time is not paid
    as it doesn't count toward your working time.
    8hrs paid x5 days -40hrs/week - paid
    30min break/day (by law) can be more depends from the employer - not paid

Never in Uk or Poland (state or private company) my break time was paid (union or non-union member). Break time can be split during the working day eg. Into 2x15min blocks or 3x10 min. Depends from employer. Break time can also be extended.

10. steveandpenny

steveandpenny Active Member Cager

Ratings:
    +274
    Ok in the states you get a half hour lunch break which is NOT included in the 8 hr work day but you get two 15 min breaks which are counted as part of your 8 he day. So to make it clear you are at work for 8.5 hours but are working 7.5 hrs while being plyed for 8 hrs. Anyhing over that has to be paid at time and a half. Meaning if you are working for 10 dollars a hour anything over your 8 hour day will be paid at 15 dollars a hour.

11. vocalneal

vocalneal Active Member Cager

Ratings:
    +322
    We worked from 7:30 until 11:30 and then 1:15 until 5:00 and to make up the difference we worked 7:30 until 11:30 on Saturday. To Make 40 Hours. As Bules we may have worked 45 so the 1:15 maybe off a bit.

The new job I may or may not get also requires working on Saturday morning.