Honda v Yamaha

Discussion in 'Cars and Vehicles' started by Mark2017, Oct 15, 2017.

1. Mark2017

Mark2017 New Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Thinking of getting my own scooter, probably a Honda for the little trips back and forth to the cafes/restaurants/gym....
    Any major difference between them and parts in Indonesia?

And would you prefer buying new or used.
    The cost is not that much either way, my only concern would be theft or parts pulled from newer bikes.
    Thanks

2. vocalneal

vocalneal Active Member Cager

Ratings:
    +209
    Hmm. I believe Honda has a better resale but quality on Yamaha is a tad higher. Buy the one you like and enjoy.
    Others will be along soon to justify their purchase?
    Theft can be mitigated by a disc lock on the front. On the rear if there is no disc just put a padlock on the wheel. Do this everytime you park. Alarms are easy to fit and even hi-end disk locks come with integral alarm if you want.
    Park the bike at night outside wooden window you can rig up a simple magnetic door alarm using some fishing line and a hook.

3. Anglian

Anglian Well-Known Member Charter Member Cager

Ratings:
    +192
    A friend of mine took his nice new bike to work and put a nice bi chain and padlock on the bike, when he came out in the afternoon the chain and lock were nicely placed on the bikes seat, just a hint if I want the bike I will take it

Regards the two makes, I think Honda has the edge

4. Mark2017

Mark2017 New Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks for your input, I had thought Honda was the preferred in Indonesia with many available parts and mechanics around. However it’s good to keep my options open. It’s not a huge issue, both are relatively cheap and easy to fix.

Just wondering the ratio of bikes Honda’s v Yamaha.
    The hipsters have turned the scooter world into something unnecessary but somewhat amusing in Australia with their retro bikes, and a lot of Chinese bikes also entering the market, haven’t seen many Manhattan pods around. They look entertaining. I’ll stick firmly with Japanese.

That’s one vote for Honda and one for Yamaha

5. atlantis

atlantis
    Moderator Cager

Ratings:
    +299
    Are you looking for a semi automatic or an full automatic one?
    I have owned a Yamaha Jupiter Z 105 cc, a Yamaha MX 135 cc and both a Honda Supra 125cc and Honda Vario 150cc. The first one has been by far my favorite. It was amazingly reliable and strong despite its only 105 cc. The Honda Supra has been the worse, incredibly lacking of power compared to the Jupiter.

6. macvert

macvert Member Cager

Ratings:
    +52
    Honda vs Yamaha is like Holden vs Falcon, some will see you as a bogan either way, just try not to make your boganness more obvious by taking sides......: :smile:

7. Mark2017

Mark2017 New Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks for the feed back Atlantis, I’ll go and test a few and see what suits my size and requirements. Would go for full auto.
    Interesting to read people opinions. Cheers.

8. Mark2017

Mark2017 New Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Very true Macvert . I never took much interest in Motorsport anyway, instead opting for comfort more than anything under the bonnet.

Last time I looked for new scooters there were a few options, now there are so many new manufacturers entering the market. No matter what I’ll stick with the Japanese. It’s a small decision regardless .

9. Bad_azz

Bad_azz Well-Known Member Charter Member Cager

Ratings:
    +258
    My first scooter here was a 7 year old Honda Vario 110, I was seduced by the Yamaha 125 (because it had "Spirit of Indonesia" written across the side (so sue me :D , I knew the bike was good quality- if it had been a Kawasaki with the same patterns on it I wouldn't have bought it), so I bought that new.

The Honda was a better class, really hard to define but it just felt better; better made, smoother to drive.
    The Yamaha goes faster, pulls up the hills with ease, really jumps to attention when I want to pass something else on a hill... BUT it feels like cheap plastic, it always feels like it is revving so it is a less smooth ride- it just feels like all or nothing.
    Of the two, IF I didn't live halfway up a mountain - the Vario 110. If I was buying new now I would likely go with a Vario 125... BUT the NMAX has tempted me too- not driven one yet, but have ridden on the back of one and it was very comfy.

10. Mark2017

Mark2017 New Member

Ratings:
    +6
    great explanation, and I know what you mean with the cheap plastic feel. I got rid of a 2 year old SUV to settle on an old landrover because I preferred the feel of it :)

11. vocalneal

Ratings:
    +209
    That is because it is. :thumb: Honda tunes its variators more conservatively, also why the Yamaha pulls better up hills, and passes at will. One cannot have it both ways. Horses for courses.

12. vocalneal

Ratings:
    +209
  13. Bad_azz

Ratings:
    +258
    I'd still go with the Honda 125/150
    Even though my bro in law is a Yamaha mechanic and does all our serving etc, I'd still deffo go back to Honda... It just feels better, more solid.

14. Mark2017

Mark2017 New Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Vocalneal: That’s a nice bike..........

15. R Cameron

R Cameron Member Charter Member Cager

Ratings:
    +48
    You will need a ITAS or ITAP to purchase your own bike new, or put it in the name of a trusted Indonesian.

Buying used is very simple, handover cash and get the appropriate documents handed over. People typically never change the vehicle to their own name because it costs money and time. Of course you'll need to be cautious of scams, I've seen many bikes with the speedometer cable disconnected so the odometer doesn't turn, so unless you know and trust all the previous owners, don't trust an odometer reading. I've also heard stories of an engine on a newer bike being swapped for an older one before sale to extract some extra value, so make sure the serial numbers on engine and frame match. Bringing it to a mechanic first could take care of checking this and for other basic problems.

16. Bad_azz

Ratings:
    +258
    Also take a selfie with the seller holding up their KTP, just in case you need it to change documents at some point- and obvs a pic of their KTP on its own. Be sure the details are clear.

17. Mark2017

Mark2017 New Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks for the heads up, great advice.