Help me raising a kitten. Please!

Discussion in 'Pets and Animals' started by Felicity, Mar 9, 2018.

1. Felicity

Felicity Member

Ratings:
    +19
    In other thread I posted about looking to adopt a cat, and now I have a 3 month kitten brought by my neighbour. He's orange just what I had been looking for.
    But like old saying, be careful of what you wish for. It's been 2 weeks now and he's been sick on and off. It costs almost 2 mil so far for vet and medicines.

Earlier today I brought him to vet because he scratched his ears a lot and looked lethargic, didn't want to eat. Got them cleaned and treated also given antibiotic. In the afternoon, he threw up. I brought back to the vet and got his blood checked. The result is attached.
    IMG_4427.JPG

However, the vet said there's possibly parasites in his blood (which occur as mites symptom in his ears) and recommend to give Advocate drops. But he needs to be fit first and prescribed him Primperan (for nausea) and Sangobion (for anemia) while still getting Clavamox (antibiotic) and Surolan (ear drops). All twice a day. Poor kitty. And my heart breaks seeing him in pain.

Any second opinion or just comment from experienced cat lovers would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    ================================================================================

New Update: I took my kitten to Animal Hospital in Ragunan at 1 am last night. The new vet diagnosis was not blood parasite but virus. Got another blood test and I forgot to take a photo of the result. After the result came, the final diagnosis was virus, Calicivirus if I'm not misheard. Vet said no cure for this and all depends on his immune. But he was so weak, didn't even want to eat anything as he kept throwing up. Last time I left him, he was being infused (?) like put nutrition liquid through needle to his blood. Articles says kittens and old cats have high chance not surviving. I don;t mean to be overreacting, but thinking about losing him brings me lots of tears. I might be too late to treat him. Been searching for a Whatsapp group or forum to ask questions, but couldn't find one. Please share the information if you know one that's reliable.

Thank you so much for reading and giving positive comments. I really appreciate it.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
  2. waarmstrong

waarmstrong Well-Known Member Charter Member Cager

Ratings:
    +292
    Not a cat person, but good luck with your efforts.

3. jstar

jstar Mr. 10,000

Ratings:
    +353
    Felicity, was the cat already treated against worms? With Drontal or so. That is often a reason to throw up. Esp. here cats (and dogs!) should be treated. Fleas and mites can be done (by yourself) with Frontline which is very effective.

Be careful with touching the stool of the animal!

4. Anglian

Anglian Well-Known Member Charter Member Cager

Ratings:
    +347
    Sorry to hear about your kitten, quite sad really, I’m afraid pets can be a bit expensive, but I hope you have a good vet who can sort out it’s problems

5. vocalneal

vocalneal Active Member Cager

Ratings:
    +322
    For flea and tick my wife's dog gets En-Dex 8000 might be available there?

Do you know the poor guys history. He might simply be the runt of the litter. Patience and get second opinions from another vet.

There is a "Upload file" button at the bottom of the edit page if you click on more options

6. Bad_azz

Bad_azz Well-Known Member Charter Member Cager

Ratings:
    +396
    Are you giving him milk- if so, cow's milk is not good for cats.
    Also, what are you giving him to eat? Maybe (if you aren't already) take it back to unprocessed food such as chicken/fish

7. Felicity

Felicity Member

Ratings:
    +19
    Thank you, although I need more than just a good luck.

He had Drontal, yes. Frontline has also been given. But my kitten does not have bugs (whatever its name) in his body. Mites are found in his ears and cleaning with liquid apparently was wrong way to treat in this case, the new vet said. The liquid just made it moist (?) and stuck deeper.

Thank you.. I can work harder to get more money (usually I work smart, but in this case any work will do), and I also look for alternative hospital. If you have any information to recommend, I would really appreciate it.

File has been uploaded successfully as I'm using computer now. It was failed to upload on mobile.
    I'll search for En-Dex 8000, thanks so much for the information. My kitten now is being taken care with different vet. Wish me luck.

I don't give him milk. For food, I have given him wet Whiskas or Friskies, dry Friskies, dry Royal Canin for growth, Hills Digestive, Royal Canin Recovery, dry Bolt, Equilibrio. Any cat food he liked.
    I will try to give him unprocessed chicken/fish later, hopefully he survives this virus. Thank you so much for the suggestions.

8. Bad_azz

Bad_azz Well-Known Member Charter Member Cager

Ratings:
    +396
    Good luck with the new vet & I hope the kitten gets well soon.

Just remember, some vets will promote the brands they sell - such as a certain type of pet food, to get their commission .
    So we have to think what a cat would naturally eat & that is meat & meat alone.
    Especially if they have a delicate stomach - be it from all the medication he is on or from a virus or something else. So that is why I suggested chicken /fish- actually fish is probably cheaper for you to buy & less likely to be full of additives than chicken.

9. Felicity

Felicity Member

Ratings:
    +19
    Yes I am aware of that 'brand ambassador' too. I will try to communicate this to the vet, if he could eat something fresh instead of processed cat food. Thanks BA

10. jstar

jstar Mr. 10,000

Ratings:
    +353
    B_a is right, esp. Royal Canin is pushed enormously via the vets. And it's not even that good.

Whiskas, Friskies and all that supermarket and ACE stuff is real crap btw. Esp. dogs but also cats can have tremendous allergic reactions.

We use raw minced chicken which we buy at SuperIndo etc. In fact it is even cheaper than the better cat food. And they love it. Much less smelly poo and no more diarrhea. If you regularly use Drontal there is no issue to use raw meat, but you can also cook it in water to be sure. And vary a bit with some other food.

En-Dex could be available in RI but unlike in the west I've never seen it here and I would use Frontline anytime. Less side effects.

11. Felicity

Felicity Member

Ratings:
    +19
    Wish I knew these earlier. I'll talk to the vet. Thanks jstar

12. Puspawarna

Puspawarna
    Moderator Cager

Ratings:
    +328
    Oh dear. I wish I could help. I think jstar is our resident cat expert so he's probably got the best advice. (Unless I'm confusing jstar with someone else - but I know somebody raises Sphinx cats. Is it you, jstar?)

13. Anglian

Ratings:
    +347
    Well for my dog we no longer buy tinned food, I was also told don’t buy stuff from Thailand, I don’t know why, my wife makes all our dogs food, so I would suppose best for your cat too

14. Felicity

Felicity Member

Ratings:
    +19
    Yes, perfectly understood now to give unprocessed food. Food is settled. Thank you, any recommended further treatment would be much appreciated.

15. Anglian

Ratings:
    +347
    If the finances run to it, get him/her a little mate to play with

16. jstar

jstar Mr. 10,000

Ratings:
    +353
    Calici? So he has watery eyes and even infection in the mouth etc? That's not so good, we call this together with the feline-herpes virus, the sneezing diseases. And it is every breeder's nightmare. (We panic if a cat sneezes or if the eyes become watery.) It is highly contagious and needs immediate quarantine and washing of all blankets etc. on high temperature. But you shouldn't worry about that since you don't have any other cats and it's harmless for humans. But do wash your hands with antiseptic if you visit your family and they have cats. And there is a vaccine (which does not guarantee non infection).

So now you need to hope the small fellow will be strong enough. In kittens it can be very nasty. You might have to force feed if he really doesn't want to eat, the vet can show you how. If he absolutely refuses any food or water, the chances are it's the feline-herpes and not the calici, but there's no big difference. Keep his eyes clean with a wet lap.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
  17. Felicity

Felicity Member

Ratings:
    +19
    I'm actually a little bit confused now, as he didn't show watery eyes and never sneezing. The symptoms were fever, threw up, lethargic, no appetite, didn't want to eat or drink. The vet did check his mouth but I didn't ask anything. I'll write it down for inquiry list to the vet. See if there's any infection in the mouth.The prognosis is to get him fit by intensive care now and then vaccinate. Yes, the vet said no cure, it all depends on his immune. Vaccination seems the best.

He is being infused and also oral food, the care giver said mixed Whiskas, water, and something else. I have asked for better food especially for intensive care, also since he didn't seem like Whiskas. I will also ask the vet if it's okay to feed him unprocessed minced chicken/fish.

Thanks so much Jstar and everyone for all the informations. I'm more informed now. Hopefully he's strong enough.

18. jstar

jstar Mr. 10,000

Ratings:
    +353
    Hmm.

I have a very mixed experience with vets here. You need to be somewhat lucky. And I feel they often want to vaccinate the hell out of the animals. (Rabies yearly? For a pet that practically never leaves the house? Are they crazy? It has a huge impact on their constitution)

The problem is also I have a cat breed which is rather rare. So I’ve been there that I had to explain the vet that the cat was not sick, but that it was normal that her body temperature was somewhat higher or that she just produces more ear smear and doesn't have ear mites.

The one that has the rep and -I must admit- the knowledge (esp. complicated fractures), is dr. Cucu in Sunter. Open 24 hours but you will probably get an assistant vet.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
  19. vocalneal

vocalneal Active Member Cager

Ratings:
    +322
  20. Felicity

Felicity Member

Ratings:
    +19
    Thank you Vocalneal, there's on wikipedia that herbal treatment, especially Theaflavin and Kaempherol can significantly inhibited entry the virus to the cell. I don't understand any single thing written on the website or product you gave me, but I will do more research. Thank you

My kitten is quarantine now to get his body immune stronger, seems that is the best way to treat virus. I can't tell if my kitten is genetically rare or not, I mean he's a lot more like domestic cat with a little Persian race I've been told. The vet have told me to try Drh.Cucu but I'm afraid that will cause him more stressful to keep moving around.
    I have also asked about mouth infection, which he doesn't have it. No ulcer found in the mouth. The calicivirus suspicion was based on leukocytes (WBC). This is the lab result when he got in. IMG_4432.JPG

It has been 2 days now, I went to the hospital to visit him today. His body temperature has dropped to 39,1C which before 40,2C. They said that's progressing to normal temperature. But aside from that, he's still vomiting I saw while I was there, hasn't pooped and not eating much. Can't eat raw minced meat for now, I've asked the vet. He seemed want to drink but then just sitting near the bowl. Even looked difficult to sleep. It was hard for me to see him in pain like that.