George Pritting

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Bad_azz, Oct 11, 2016.

1. Bad_azz

Bad_azz Well-Known Member Charter Member Cager

Ratings:
    +396
    It is entirely possible that many of our members have come across this man and his heart rending story.
    I believe it has been checked and checked to ensure it is no scam.
    The latest I have seen is that the US embassy has secured $20,000 of the $50 000needed to medivac him back to the US.
    The initial figures in his story had to be amended- so please don't jump on to it and say "oh but he already has more than he needs" - he doesn't.

The story can be checked out at the US embassy if you feel you wish to donate but feel you need to triple check before you do.

if you are in a position to help please please help this man- even if it is by sending a few dollars or rupiahs or by visiting him or in any way you can :

I acknowledge that there are many people in dire circumstances but I do feel that many of us can identify with this man & but for the pure luck of the draw it hasn't happened to us.

https://www.gofundme.com/2rts4hw

2. Bad_azz

Ratings:
    +396
    2013:"My name is George J Pritting I am an American Citizan that went to work in a foreign country for an American company. 6 months ago I was diagnosied with the devastating and torturing disease ALS(Lou Gehrigs disease)When I was working I fell in love and got married. We had a beautiful baby girl(Amelia) and my older amazing son(Joshua)My life was great. Then I started getting sick.
    At first I was starting to shake in my hand and arm. For almost 2 years my condition started slowly getting worse. The health care here is not good. Many wrong test, diagnosis and many of the wrong different medicines, my money and insurance was used up fast. About 6 months back I started getting sick fast. Falling and hitting my head. no balance and not being able to walk. I lost most all use of my leftside. Without much money and desperate to find out what was happening. I contacted the US Embassy here. The Embassy helped me find the right doctors that correctly diagnosed me with ALS(Lou Gehrig disease) since Indonesia is not equipped or has medicine or nursing homes setup for ALS. We set up a plan to send me back to Tennessee. But the problem is the airlines want me to fly with a nurse or doctor because they are worried . Worried if I get sick during the flight. We tried many different ways to get me home. Now to fly me home with nurse, medical equipment, sedated. Is 25,000usd. The Embassy has giving me 10,000usd for emergency Medivac. But can not give anymore and I can not keep waiting. I am living in bad conditions, no equipment or treatment for ALS here. Hospitals are not set up for it. My family has given all they have. 10,000usd to help. So Im trying to raise the rest of the 5,000usd as fast as I can. All I want to do is go home to a nursing home and relax and have the proper care. I want to be with my mom and son. I worked 27 years and now I just want to enjoy the next year or 2 i have left with my family. If I stay here in Indonesia I only suffer more and dying fast. PLEASE If you can see inside your heart I just want to go home and be comfortable. I have no other help or choices. I need the care and love of my family before my condition gets worse. Once I get back home to Tennessee I get immediate medical because I can get my disability. I can not get it overseas, This will help support my children to. The sicker i get will cost more and have a less of a chance of going home. I have lost everything because of this horrible and torturing disease, my wife and child left me. Alone here now and not much help.
    THANK YOU for taking your time to read this and please i just want to go home as fast as I can. this took me 3 hours to write.
    Thank you again
    George Pritting
    you can look my facebook."

3. Bad_azz

Ratings:
    +396
    To be honest , (this story and others like it) has been eating away at me all night...
    & I really had my thinking cap on about what we could all do - and I figured setting up some sort of emergency fund to assist expats in Indonesia in diabolical/ emergency circumstances.

& I wondered if setting up some annual event geared at expats might work- with sponsorship from the international companies such as Allianz and HSBC etc
    Some massive festival with a mix of music and other arts from all the melting pots of places we all come form, food stalls, face painting for kids and so on ... it is a way that we all could find something to give without feeling like we are giving (I say that for those who are a bit stingy and want something in return for their dosh).

Could some event such as this work?

4. fastpitch17

fastpitch17 Well-Known Member Charter Member Cager

Ratings:
    +158
    Yeah, it could work but to me the tough part would be finding the right people to put it all together. Plus, Expats are spread around the county and it would probably only draw from those in the Jakarta area where the biggest segment live.

You are also thinking Expat and the audience would be the Western Expat in all likelihood. I think that is where any interest would come from and at the same time look at it as the smallest Expat community in country.

As for George, I jumped in when it first came out on Facebook. A lot of accusations towards the ladies who set up the request for help then but for some reason I believed them and now all those doubters have been proven wrong.

5. jstar

jstar Mr. 10,000

Ratings:
    +353
  6. fastpitch17

Ratings:
    +158
  7. Bad_azz

Ratings:
    +396
    To be honest it could be in Jakarta or elsewhere or on tour and open to anyone - I was thinking what sponsors would like to be linked with "expats".

All things are possible - I guess it starts with the will to try.
    I think it would be a great expo-style thing for all the NGOs to show off and promote their wares, as well. Export/importers, travel companies, high end brands such as Harley Davidson/ Ferrari /clothes designers etc........
    With a small fee payable on entrance.
    This could be the birth of the "Expat Expo"

And with a chunk of the profits ('cos it will be hard to get it to be a non profit thing) but ideally all -going to some charitable (& not corrupt) fund that is managed by a board of sensible people who decide on criteria for dishing out grants to aid people in dire situations.

Haha I think big- always been my style - but something along the lines of Live Aid.

If I can gather together like minded people we can make a start on coming up with ideas & pooling contacts etc. to see if it is viable.
    I deffo have contacts with the music scene - so getting acts together from a range of genres wouldn't be a problem.

8. fastpitch17

Ratings:
    +158
    If some kind of organization gets put together I can also contact my celebrity contact in music, modeling, and acting. Maybe they can't help but may know others who can.

9. Bad_azz

Ratings:
    +396
    See, once we start to think of actual ways forward people start to chip in - and that can only grow.

As I see it we get snowed under with seeing sad things on the internet - over exposure to all the ills in the world- but if say there was some big party event happening and people were invited to come along, pay a small entry fee & have a fun family day out; knowing that the cash they spent whilst there did some actual good for people in need, they would probably come along, enjoy themselves and think it no hardship to them- but just asking for cash on the internet is one voice amongst millions & a click away from being ignored.
    I have faith in humanity and I think such an event could be a success- so now it is just about minor things - such as the details :D

10. Bad_azz

Ratings:
    +396
    A friend has put this suggestion forward too:

"Another idea for expats is holding a fancy Christmas lunch somewhere that can have activities for their kids and if u add on $15pp or whatever u want to add on and all of that can go to charity of choice!
    Christmas isn't celebrated much in indonesia and I know even in Bali everyone is always looking for something special to do with their family to make it more like Christmas was when they were kids for their kids just an idea and might be easier to get organised!
    Find a nice restaurant or hotel with a big grassed area for set up of stalls and they give u their price per person and then add on ur price plus maybe another $10pp to cover stalls if they want payment. Something at abt $60per adult and $40per child???"

So fellow forum members- over to you

11. fastpitch17

Ratings:
    +158
    If you are talking Bali then while there would be a selection of tourist that could/would attend it would be difficult for many people on here to. Airline prices shoot up for the holidays and there would be hotel and other cost involved. I know we couldn't do it. The concept is good though.

12. Bad_azz

Ratings:
    +396
    Haha FP, I am not talking any specific location yet. Just now it is about bouncing ideas around and fishing for suggestions and seeing if it would be viable.

I quite like the idea of having a string of events in different locations on a set date or over a set time period.

I also think that whilst the theme should be expat - that should not limit the audience to expats at all.
    As I said - open to everyone.

13. fastpitch17

Ratings:
    +158
    Baby steps. Baby steps

14. Bad_azz

Ratings:
    +396
    Haha yes...
    But fabulous as I am, I cannot do this alone- hence the casting out of nets for ideas.

:moony::fish2:

15. fastpitch17

Ratings:
    +158
    I'll make way for others to jump in.

16. Jim69

Jim69 Member Charter Member Cager

Ratings:
    +11
    It sounds like a great idea.

My main concern would be the legality of it all. As expats we cant do this high level charity work, as it is not part of the job description on the KITAS.

If a local member could be the front person, and form whatever charity is required then it could be a way forward. I do see problems in the future, as I am sure there would be a lot of resistance to a "fund" to help expats, as the majority of Indonesians, see us as rich to start with.

Maybe if the fund was to help local as well as expats, % split to be decided, it may work.

17. fastpitch17

Ratings:
    +158
    How many Expats per year actually need assistance? I would thing very few if any and the fund would start getting request for bail and fines because someone can't leave. Besides the George here, have there been any hardships you heard of that need help like this?

18. Bad_azz

Ratings:
    +396
    Not all of us are here on a work ITAS.
    I see no legitimate reason for someone such as me on a spouse sponsored visa working on something such as this.

Some fair points though.

There have been some who have sustained injuries and ended up in hospital.
    But aside from cases such as Georges, I know of several cases of women who are being systematically abused by their Indonesian husbands- but have nowhere to turn to leave with the children - there are quite a lot of situations where expats get into dire circumstances that a fund could help.
    I am not saying to throw money at every Tom, Dick & Harriet who comes asking.
    & "expat" isn't a term I would use to cover all foreigners in Indonesia.

Anyway spending the money from an event/fund that isn't even planned /set up yet is a bit ahead of the game.

Good questions though & well worth considering.

19. Om DelOreo

Om DelOreo New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Aside from abused women...I know of one:
    https://www.crowdrise.com/itas-pet-scarn2

Bad_azz, I think it's great what you want to do! I hope you will be successful!

20. Nimbus

Nimbus Active Member Charter Member Cager

Ratings:
    +166