From the OTHER Forum

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by cup1981, Jan 5, 2018.

1. cup1981

cup1981 Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Hey all, I was once a regular in the other forum. I logged in over there, as I am considering a return to Indonesia (to Bandung this time instead of Tasik) with my wife and kids, only to find out most of the people I chatted with there came here. So, I wanted to pop my head in here and say hi before I start lurking around and randomly replying to and starting threads.

I see a lot of rules have changed since I came back to the U.S. in 2011. Most notably, the foreigner owning land rule has been changed twice and seems pretty fair now.

Has anyone had any luck with it?

Cheers!

2. El_Goretto

El_Goretto
    Moderator Cager

Ratings:
    +217
  3. Puspawarna

Puspawarna
    Moderator Cager

Ratings:
    +304
    What a treat to see you here! You were always such an asset in the other forum, especially in light of your knowledge of making a living here as a WNA married to a WNI, with a good dose of using the internet to make it work.

It's also nice to see that you are thinking of coming back to Indonesia. Weren't you a bit frustrated with the country here when you left, and didn't plan to return? If that recollection is more or less correct, what changed your mind?

Finally, congratulations are probably in order. You had ONE child when you left...now you have "kids"? Tell us more!

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  4. Bad_azz

Bad_azz Well-Known Member Charter Member Cager

Ratings:
    +353
    Welcome to the forum.
    If you have Bandung questions be sure to shout out.

5. waarmstrong

waarmstrong Well-Known Member Charter Member Cager

Ratings:
    +244
    Welcome back, digitally speaking. Maybe the state of political leadership in Washington has nothing to do with your reassessment of Indonesia as your home base, but it's certainly one factor, to my mind, that improve the standing of Indonesia relative to the USA.

We are similarly situated, but don't plan to move back until our daughter graduates from her Stateside high school. Unfortunately our family is clustered in Jakarta. It would be nice, though, to know more expats in Bandung with an extra bedroom.

6. atlantis

atlantis
    Moderator Cager

Ratings:
    +501
    Hey cup1981!
    Glad to see you back, both in our forum and perhaps to Indonesia. There's a good crowd of people here. Don't hesitate to ask your questions, as always.

7. dafluff

dafluff
    Moderator Cager

Ratings:
    +470
    Hi and welcome back!

With regards to land rules, what specifically do you mean? I don't recall anything that stands out. Foreigners are still not allowed to own land, as per forever.

8. cup1981

cup1981 Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Hey all, thanks for the warm welcomes!

@Puspawarna I was frustrated in my first year, but after getting my KITAS, everything settled and I was able to actually enjoy myself in the second year. Mostly, I was excited to get back to the U.S., but once I got back into the rat race here, I realized how good I actually had it in Indonesia. Ah, and good memory! Yes, we had just the one kiddo as an Indonesian souvenir when we returned, but in 2015, we had our second son, Kayana, here in the states.

@Bad_azz Thanks! I will reach out if any questions arise!

@waarmstrong The current political state here is definitely one factor -- we are just waiting for a nuke to fall on our heads (kidding... sort of). Yeah, our oldest son is just in 1st grade, so we figure if there is a time to go, it is soon. Last thing I want to do is have him in middle school and move to a foreign country. One of my biggest concerns about Indo is the school system, though. I don't want him going to public school, but every international school I look into is out-freaking-rageously priced. More research is definitely in order there.

@atlantis, my old friend! I hope all is well! Great to see that smiling Gecko tattoo :). Definitely looks like the best of the best migrated here. I am sure there will be tons of questions coming from me.

@dafluff In 2015, the president signed into law a rule permitting foreigners who are residents in Indo to buy land, so long as they meet minimum purchase requirements and have an Indonesian spouse. Here's a link to what I read: https://www.indonesia-investments.c...property-in-indonesia-but-will-they/item6913?

9. lifelongexpat

lifelongexpat Active Member Cager

Ratings:
    +101
    Well it's a rather 'twisted' form of ownership. It called 'right of use' (hak pakai) which just allows you to enjoy using a property for up to 80 years.

You can't rent out the property and if you leave Indonesia, the title has to be passed on to a local Indonesian or another foreigner with residency status.

All in all, hardly an appealing option.

10. harryopal

harryopal Active Member Charter Member

Ratings:
    +96
    Good evening Cup 1981.
    Yeah, our oldest son is just in 1st grade, so we figure if there is a time to go, it is soon. Last thing I want to do is have him in middle school and move to a foreign country. One of my biggest concerns about Indo is the school system, though. I don't want him going to public school, but every international school I look into is out-freaking-rageously priced. More research is definitely in order there."

Living in Malaysia with four children and 3 in primary school I arranged for them to do correspondence with the state school system in Victoria, Australia. We hired a local to act as teacher and it worked well and nothing like the costs of sending them to an international school.

Are there no correspondence possibilities through the US education system?

11. cup1981

cup1981 Member

Ratings:
    +12

You know what, I feel really dumb now. I totally didn't even think about the online homeschooling system here in the U.S. Being a Florida resident and having a permanent address here, my sons could just do their schooling through that. Thanks for opening my eyes to that option. :)

12. dafluff

dafluff
    Moderator Cager

Ratings:
    +470
    This is not freehold land, but Hak Pakai. This has existed previously also (PP 41, 1996), the 2015 law didn't create it. The only major change is that the Hak Pakai right has been extended from 50 years to 80 years. It also prescribes a minimum value of the property, in Jakarta it is Rp 10 billion.

13. cup1981

cup1981 Member

Ratings:
    +12
    @dafluff Ah, guess I misunderstood it. Too bad. I guess I could still stick with the post-nup and have it all in my wife's name deal :).

14. Travellingchez

Travellingchez Member Charter Member Cager

Ratings:
    +30
    Welcome to the new forum cup1981

15. kratos

kratos Member Cager

Ratings:
    +27
    Hmm, whats up with Ridwan Kamil ? why is everyone is so like Anti Ridwan Kamil for Governor ?

16. kratos

kratos Member Cager

Ratings:
    +27
    Ups sorry, welcome back Cup1981

17. cup1981

cup1981 Member

Ratings:
    +12
    @kratos Oddly enough, Ridwan Kamil is actually my cousin... well, my wife's cousin. He's her dad's sister's son. He's part of the reason we chose to land in Bandung -- not to use his name to make things easier, but to avoid some of the corruption.

On topic, though, last I knew, he had a lot of support. My wife and I would actually be very interested to know what this anti-Ridwan Kamil stuff is all about too.

18. Bad_azz

Ratings:
    +353
    He is very popular, but there was something recently, an interview re his wife- where he talked about how he "Let" her do this & that. It irked a lot of people.
    It came across with the mindset of the big man permitting the little woman to do things. Not really the best way to display one's wares in this day & age. Apologies as I cannot give you the link to it.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  19. Bad_azz

Ratings:
    +353
    Just to add, that is highly unlikely to be a factor influencing his popularity.

The anti stuff is probably because he doesn't fit into a clique, so they probably want to take out the candidate who cannot be controlled by the clique.

& I do know some of these cliques and they are very powerful & tough nuts to crack.

As everywhere- look at ye GOP in US
    Look at the "peers" in the UK- the old boys networks.
    Look at any long term developed gang/group of people & how introducing a newbie to them works out.
    They all want pliable candidates in there. RK tends to be decicive and acts on his decisions & from what I gather has a strong character. The kind of guy who takes no shit from anyone... & then pop that in context with those who hold the purse strings & their conservative, don't rock the boat attitudes. So although , for the good of the people he might well be the best guy for the job, it depends on how well he can schmooze with the purse holders.