Do the Bees know

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Anglian, Apr 11, 2018.

1. Anglian

Anglian Well-Known Member Charter Member Cager

Ratings:
    +248
    I popped into Ace at Lebak Bulas to buy some herbicide, they didn’t have any, but I was surprised to see a sign selling Halal honey, looked ordinary honey to me so what’s special about Halal honey and are the bees happy with this, or this a sled pitch to the gullible

2. Puspawarna

Puspawarna
    Moderator Cager

Ratings:
    +225
    Well, that got me curious. I found something on a quick Google search that seems to indicate that all honey is halal.

So I guess it's like labeling your vegetable oil "cholesterol free" or your sugar "fat free."

3. Anglian

Ratings:
    +248
    I looked up Halal on google, it would appear to me that anyone with half a brain wouldn’t even think of honey as being haram, we have a laundry nearby and it says it’s halal, I asked my wife and she said the soap would be pig free, I didn’t know that soap was made from pigs, it seems quite a business saying what is halal and what isn’t. I was amused by the last paragraph in the item, that if a Muslim is starving he can eat a pig

4. waarmstrong

waarmstrong Well-Known Member Charter Member Cager

Ratings:
    +143
    I am starving every morning.

5. Puspawarna

Puspawarna
    Moderator Cager

Ratings:
    +225
    Occasionally, there are unexpected issues. Marshmallows are an example: why wouldn't they be halal, they are a vegetarian sweet treat? Answer: because they contain gelatin, and it is possible (not guaranteed) that the gelatin was made from hooves of pigs. So marking marshmallows as "halal" makes sense, even though it seems odd to anyone who isn't familiar with the details.

I respect everyone's food choices, whether they stem from religious, moral, health, personal taste, or other reasons. But me? I'll eat (almost) anything, and gladly. Sure makes life easier that way.

6. Pak Tani

Pak Tani Member

Ratings:
    +17
    True. And even if the gelatine is made of cow bones, if the cows haven't been slaughtered according to islamic regulations it still isn't permissible to consumate the marshmallows.

It's not just the honey mentioned in the OP that has a halal certifcate, even the label of your Aqua bottle, says حلال. Why, water is always halal, right? It's because during the production process of food and drinks, utensils could be used that are considered impure. For instance a brush made of pig hair or machine membranes made of other parts of pigs.

So the body that issues the halal certificate in Indonesia (Majlis Ulema Indonesia) doesn't just check the ingredients of the food, it checks the production process to ensure that everything is according to islamic regulations.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  7. harryopal

harryopal Member Charter Member

Ratings:
    +62
    I wonder how many Muslims are buying ice-cream without realizing that most ice-creams contain gelatin with the Islamic implications referred to by Pak Tani.

8. Anglian

Ratings:
    +248
    That’s true, I fear there are many products out there which don’t conform to the halal regulations, when my daughter was at Uni she bought some marshmallows to give to her friends, I read the very tiny contents and it appears they had pig fat in them, she was horrified, so I was forced to eat them

9. Davita

Davita Well-Known Member Charter Member

Ratings:
    +399
    I knew it.....you are all heart Anglian....:thumb:
    Your generosity of spirit is overwhelming but recall Oscar Wilde's quote...."No good deed goes unpunished!"
    Were the marshmallows OK?

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  10. Anglian

Ratings:
    +248
    I cannot tell a lie, yes I did

11. William King

William King Well-Known Member Charter Member Cager

Ratings:
    +208
    Pig's arse, they do. (xcuse the pun)

Pay, they shuffle papers and done.

12. waarmstrong

Ratings:
    +143
    I tend to agree with Mr. King on this one, with the emphasis on "pay" more than "shuffle papers."

13. steveandpenny

steveandpenny Active Member Cager

Ratings:
    +197
    I worked in the food industry for years in the states and we would get halal certified and kosher certified . They both look at ingredients , cleaning processes, and food handling. Both of these certs have replaced the "The Good housekeeping Seal of Approval " which was a bench mark in the 70's.
    I still will buy a product that has one of those certs before I buy one with put because I know they produced their products in a safe and uncontamated way.
    It' not just for Muslims and Jews. It' also for people concerned abut food safey.

14. waarmstrong

Ratings:
    +143
    What sort of certificate do you look for when bacon is on the menu?