Data registration for pre-paid phone SIM cards

Discussion in 'IT, Technology and Telecommunication' started by El_Goretto, Nov 2, 2017.

1. El_Goretto

El_Goretto
    Moderator Cager

Ratings:
    +272
    As you may or may not know, all holders of pre-paid phone SIM cards must register their data with their provider before Feb 2018.

Failure to do so will mean that the service will be progressively limited until the phone number is suspended.

For Indonesians, the data to be provided are KTP and Kartu Keluarga.

For foreigners, a passport is supposed to be enough.

As usual, in practice, it's a farce. I tried to register with my passport at XL and it doesn't work. They asked me to "pinjam" an Indonesian's KTP and Kk which defeats the whole purpose of the operation, as I pointed out to them.

So they made copy of passport and KTP to send to the headoffice, see what they can do.

Anyone had any luck with this?

2. dafluff

dafluff
    Moderator Cager

Ratings:
    +524
    It references the national NIK database, so passports won't work. Neither will NIKs issued to foreigners (SKTT, KTP-OA), so the only way is to "borrow" a WNI's documentation. I used my wife's.

Further pointlessness is that of course in Indonesia a Kartu Keluarga is not treated like the private document it is (just do a Google Image search for kartu keluarga), and it is trivially easy for someone with ill intent to get a NIK.

3. scouser59

scouser59 Member Charter Member Cager

Ratings:
    +96
    .Ya , I had the same problems with telkomsel , on the second visit they took foto of mine and my wifes ktp filled in a surat , a couple of signatures , they said I would not need to come back , I wait with bated breath ! dont you just love it here :mmph:

4. snpark

snpark Active Member Cager

Ratings:
    +321
    Actually for a long time (ish) if you buy a new prepaid sim from ambs mall or similar, they ask for ID copy, if you dont have one they use their own, so I imagine probably 5,000 sims registered to the same shop or person, as always here yes its a stupid request because numbers can and do get passed around or you just ask a friend to register it. Also silly is most of us have our numbers already registered with banks, taxis, pizza hut etc anyway so very easy to find out who's number belongs to who anyway.

5. sergei

sergei New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Anyone has a reference to the official announcement for this new requirement?

6. dafluff

dafluff
    Moderator Cager

Ratings:
    +524
  7. Anglian

Anglian Well-Known Member Charter Member Cager

Ratings:
    +347
    I did my registration with XL, I just supplied KK number and KTP number, that was all that was required, the SMS number to register with XL was 4444

8. Chiron

Chiron Member

Ratings:
    +49
    I wonder what the intended purpose of this registration was, or what motivated this decree??

I tried reading through the decree document (after translating piece by piece), but it just seems to state the authority behind the decision, the procedures and protocols, and other filler details.

9. sul1995

sul1995 Member Charter Member Cager

Ratings:
    +35
    I was told to go to their office to register if I don't have KTP and KK. I should go personally bringing my passport, KITAP and the SIM card. Too much trouble, I think I'll just register by SMS using KTP and KK of one or two of our staff.

10. DzulnSiti

DzulnSiti Member

Ratings:
    +10
    Well my wifeand I, the KTP and KK is not working. Later I check online verification from dikduk website both the ktp and kk is not found even it was issue by local disduk. :doh: I need to go down to XL to get register.

11. nd_eric_77

nd_eric_77 Member Charter Member Cager

Ratings:
    +55
    Has anybody run into problems with there being a limit of 3 SIM cards per person? I heard that such a limit was in place, but have not heard of anybody getting their registration rejected because of it.
    Also, is it 3 SIM cards per person per carrier, or 3 SIM cards per person across all carriers? My wife registered her SIM and mine, but has not registered our 2 kiddos' SIM cards yet. They are on two different carriers, so theoretically, it should not be an issue.
    Also, I have heard that BOLT cards are exempt because they are data-only (no phone connectivity).

12. R Cameron

R Cameron Active Member Charter Member Cager

Ratings:
    +106
    I've heard of this limit, but also read (I forget where) that you can 4+ but have to register in person.

13. snpark

Ratings:
    +321
    And of course no mention about what tourists are supposed to do, or those on SOSBUDs etc etc??

14. vocalneal

vocalneal Active Member Cager

Ratings:
    +322
    Happening in Thailand in December.

15. daud

daud New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    hi all...
    The same problem happened to me when i visited the XL centre in GI. They tried using my passport details to register but failed. So took a copy of it to do it "offline". This was end Oct 2017.

Unfortunately till today it has not been registered yet. Can see that in the mobile app.

I am no longer working in Indonesia but my local number is still active and i intend to keep it.

There was an earlier post about XL staff asking to borrow a locals KTP/ KK.. same thing they told me. i just dropped dead hearing that!

16. snpark

Ratings:
    +321
    I am not sure if this applies to NEW cards or old ones, pretty sure when I got mine years ago I gave my passport copy then, but again no one has commented on what tourists etc are supposed to do if you can only register with KITAS ?

17. daud

daud New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    New or old, all sims are required to be re-registered.

My sim is an old sim which i registered while i was working in Indonesia.

Very valid point when it comes to Tourist. how will they register since there is no option on the mobile app for passport to be entered.

18. snpark

Ratings:
    +321
    Well it is Feb now and all 4 of my telkomsel prepaid numbers still working fine for text sms, w/a, calls in and out, internet, etc etc etc

So what happened with this??
    Did anyone encounter any problems?

19. ericjancoen

ericjancoen New Member

Ratings:
    +3
    registration period until: 28 February 2018.
    1~ 31 March 2018: Sim-card will be partially blocked (you cant call or send sms)
    1~15 April 2018: fully blocked.
    pass that your card will invalid.

that is what the news says.

20. snpark

Ratings:
    +321
    On TV one, or CNN ? lol