Child dual citizenship process.

Discussion in 'Visas, Permits and Immigration' started by Bikerbule, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Bikerbule

Bikerbule New Member

Ratings:
    +3
    I am trying to find information about the correct process to get my daughter registered as a dual citizen.
    She is a few years old now and already has her British passport.
    What documents are needed and what are the steps to take?

2. dafluff

dafluff
    Moderator Cager

Ratings:
    +470
    Was she born in Indonesia? Is she in Indonesia presently, and does she have an Indonesian birth certificate?

3. Bikerbule

Bikerbule New Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Yes she was born here, has a birth certificate and mum is Indonesian.

4. dafluff

dafluff
    Moderator Cager

Ratings:
    +470
    Then all you need to do is go to your local KanIm with her British passport, her birth cert, your passport, mum's KTP, KK and passport, (of course copies of all the above), then ask to apply for Affidavit Dwikewarganegaraan, or an Indonesian passport.

5. Bikerbule

Bikerbule New Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Oh wow sounds simple, I assumed it would be a pain, thank you.

6. dafluff

dafluff
    Moderator Cager

Ratings:
    +470
    Could still be a pain...never underestimate the system!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  7. William King

William King Well-Known Member Charter Member Cager

Ratings:
    +259
    That's all I did with my children.

8. Expat2018

Expat2018 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I’m am looking to get dual citizenship for my son in Bali too.

I have been told to get the Indonesian passport first and then apply for the European passport second without making an affidavit.

Is this true? Or is there a hidden secret of getting the foreigner passport first before the Indonesian?

Any information is appreciated.

9. tokektokek

tokektokek Member Charter Member Cager

Ratings:
    +25
    When my son was born in 2015, I got the British passport first - as this is the most important one for me.

Then after I had that, I applied for the Indonesian passport. I did not show them the British passport and I did not get an affidavit.

So I followed all of dafluffs's steps in number 4 (apart from my sons British passport), and applied for the Indonesian passport.

10. Pilgrimrunner

Pilgrimrunner New Member

Ratings:
    +3
    My son was born here in 2014 (Indo mum) and we got him his UK passport first then his Indo one. The biggest problem was getting colour photocopies of every page of his UK passport as it is illegal to colour photo copy some legal documents in this country.
    My daughter was born here in 2016 and we got her a UK passport but an Indo afidavit. We'll be getting her an Indo passport this year.

11. tokektokek

tokektokek Member Charter Member Cager

Ratings:
    +25
    This is the first time I have heard of this. Where has this come from and what exactly is it illegal to photocopy and why?

For the record I colour photocopy everything n Indonesia, from KITAS/KITAP to British and Indonesian passports to the various Surats from Government departments

12. Pilgrimrunner

Pilgrimrunner New Member

Ratings:
    +3
    This was back in 2014, I don't know where it came from but we (wife and I) went to many photo copy/printing shops and they all said the same thing. I ended up using the business center of the hotel we were staying in and copied it all in there.

13. jstar

jstar Mr. 10,000

Ratings:
    +276
    True or not, the reason they told you to do this, was probably to circumvent the necessary citizenship choice. If RI is not aware the child has another citizenship as well, they would not be able.... you get my drift. Illegal of course (in INDONESIA) but many trick the system this way.

NB: There are countries of which you can’t even lose or reject the citizenship (e.g. Morocco) or that do allow dual citizenship rather recently (e.g. Belgium). And in Japan they have a similar system as in RI.