Bali to Ban internet during Nyepi

Discussion in 'In the News' started by dafluff, Mar 13, 2018.

1. dafluff

dafluff
    Moderator Cager

Ratings:
    +496
    nointernet.jpg

The Balinese Hindu New Year of Nyepi is celebrated this year on Saturday, March 17. Also known as the Day of Silence, adherents will participate in Catur Brata Penyepian, or the four self control exercises. These are done from sunrise to sunrise of the next day. They are:

1. Amati Geni: not using fire (or electricity).
    2. Amati Karya: abstaining from work.
    3. Amati Lelungaan: abstaining from travel.
    4. Amati Lelanguan: abstaining from entertainment.
    In past years, this has meant that people in Bali are not allowed to leave their house (except for emergencies), turn on lights, or make loud noises during Nyepi. Since 1999, Bali has also shut down their one international airport to all flights.

Every year, the Inter Religious Harmony Forum (Forum Kerukunan Umat Beragama - FUKB) of Bali, issues recommendations on how this holiday is to be observed. This year it has made an additional recommendation that wasn't there before: that cellular data providers stop their service between 6 am on March 17th to 6 am on March 18th.

While this recommendation does not have legal standing, it is signed by representatives of all state recognized religions, the Governor of Bali, the Police and Military commander of Bali.

On Monday, March 12th, the Ministry of Communication and Information (Kemenkominfo) has said that it, and all cellular operators it has met with, have agreed to the ban. So it appears that it will go ahead as recommended.

"All cellular operators were in the meeting, and all of them stated they are ready to follow the recommendation", said Nyoman Sujaya, the Chief of Communications, Information and Statistics for Bali.

The ban only applies to cellular data. Voice and SMS communications will remain normal. Cable internet connections will remain operational. Please see update below.

UPDATE March 16: The largest cable and fiber internet provider in Bali, Indihome, has announced it will join the internet ban for Nyepi. This is despite the original recommendation only requesting the deactivation of cellular data networks.

https://www.viva.co.id/digital/1016907-nyepi-layanan-indihome-di-bali-dimatikan-sementara

Links:

(Bahasa Indonesia)
    http://www.balipost.com/news/2018/03/12/39913/Nyepi-Dipastikan-Tanpa-Internet-di...html
    https://www.jawapos.com/baliexpress...internet-pribadi-saat-nyepi-dimatikan-di-bali

(English)
    https://coconuts.co/bali/news/inter...ng-wifi-turned-off-bali-hindu-new-year-nyepi/

Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
  2. scouser59

scouser59 Member Charter Member Cager

Ratings:
    +89
    A step too far , in my opinion.

If the balinese really want to celebrate the spirit of nyepi , they should close all the hotels and turn the electricity off , but they wont do that , it will hurt them in the pocket .

I will be in java for nyepi .

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  3. Balifrog

Balifrog Member

Ratings:
    +43
    And than speaking about oher religions being extremist....

How come some hotels offer "Quiete day" packages ?

4. macvert

macvert Active Member Cager

Ratings:
    +81
    My wife told me about this development this morning so I proposed we record a loud motorbike then place a wireless loudspeaker in the scrub near our house & broadcast the recording intermittently..... just to fuck with people's heads.

5. macvert

Ratings:
    +81
    But seriously ( for those with little sense of humour) , nyeppi doesn't really bother me, I go to bed fairly early anywho, it's only 24 hours, I can find plenty of things to do around the hoose during the day, we cook up a feed before it gets dark & I'll buy a couple of extra beers the day before but I do wonder just how many villas etc in Bali have specially built nyeppi bunkers.

6. Scooterindo

Scooterindo Active Member Charter Member Cager

Ratings:
    +102
    Big fuss over nothing

So the internet maybe off for 24 hours - not the end of the world.
    I will be at home doing nothing with the family, and without Wifi we may actually have a "conversation" with the kids, maybe watch a DVD or two and generally be lazy for 24 hours.

I have to agree its a little extreme but seems to be part of the Indonesian psyche of I cant do it so no one can do it. Which, considering the scale of the shut down already in place seems a bit petty if you ask me.

7. waarmstrong

waarmstrong Well-Known Member Charter Member Cager

Ratings:
    +258
    Could lead to book reading and other ancient rituals.

8. snpark

snpark Active Member Cager

Ratings:
    +276
    But banning something just means more people are inclined to do it just to buck the system

They would have been better off turing it into a positive, like we don't you "try" an live without internet for a day

But since you cannot talk to friends and family all day either (since you are supposed to be "quiet") then what are the alternatives
    Would have also been a good day to organise a "clean the beaches of plastic" march - silent protest collecting rubbish etc etc

9. macvert

Ratings:
    +81
    Pop Mie is selling out quick .... walking out the doors

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  10. hamrio

hamrio New Member

Ratings:
    +2
  11. Banana72

Banana72 Member Charter Member Cager

Ratings:
    +25
    Can you imagine if this happens in JKT? All the moviegoers will probably talk more during the movies instead of lighting up the theater with their super bright phone screens!

12. dafluff

dafluff
    Moderator Cager

Ratings:
    +496
  13. Jaime C

Jaime C Active Member Charter Member Cager

Ratings:
    +142
    Perhaps a spike in births 9 months later.

14. Jaime C

Jaime C Active Member Charter Member Cager

Ratings:
    +142
    SMS still working...

15. dafluff

dafluff
    Moderator Cager

Ratings:
    +496
  16. Balifrog

Balifrog Member

Ratings:
    +43
    One question to the "old hands" :
    How do the hotels handle this day ? I suppose there are guests that still want their breakfast, lunch.etc....

17. R Cameron

R Cameron Active Member Charter Member Cager

Ratings:
    +92
  18. dafluff

dafluff
    Moderator Cager

Ratings:
    +496
    Hotels will have staff and essential services, including allowing some lighting. In fact hotel "Nyepi Packages" are very popular with the locals.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  19. nd_eric_77

nd_eric_77 Member Charter Member Cager

Ratings:
    +55
    Good on them for announcing it ahead of time. I do wonder, though about the airport closure having only happened since 1999. Was there no Nyepi during the Suharto era? Anywho, good for making the public announcement. I am old enough to remember surviving a day (or even two) without data services. As long as hospitals still operate and emergency services are still available, vaya con dios.