Aussie newby Health insurance dilemna

Discussion in 'Newbie Corner' started by Dianne, Apr 15, 2018 at 8:06 AM.

Tags:
  1. Dianne

Dianne New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello everyone! Greetings from Blahbatuh, Gianyar Bali. I have noticed that there are several people around my age struggling with Health Insurance issues. I am 70 years young in June and health insurance has become a nightmare! Premiums are exhorbitant for my age! I am a (single) retiree, on an Australian age pension. Suggestions appreciated

2. Puspawarna

Puspawarna
    Moderator Cager

Ratings:
    +225
    I think foreigners can sign up for the Indonesian health insurance system, BPJS (there is a thread about it active now: https://forum.expatindo.org/threads/bpjs-use.1650/ ).

I'm not Australian so I may not have my facts right, but don't you have some sort of Australian national health insurance program? Of course, you need to be in Australia to use it, but I would think that BPJS plus a back-up plan of going to Australia if a serious problem arose would work. I'm probably way off base though - but now you've got me curious, so I'll be interested to hear what other members have to say about your question.

3. Dianne

Dianne New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, the free health system in Australia is medicare. But, if you are not residing in Austraia, after 5 years it is cut off and you must return, reside for a number of years to rejoin! Like all aussies, I paid a % of my income every year, but now as a retiree, residing in Indo, after 11/2018 it cuts off. However, as a pensioner I get free care if I am in Austr and have a health issue! Crazy eh?

4. harryopal

harryopal Member Charter Member

Ratings:
    +62
    Yes, Pupsawara , Australia has Medicare which covers most costs without annual fees. You can pay increasingly stiff fees for private insurance if you insist on having your own doctor plus some other adavantages. On the other hand the private insurers are always trying to find reasons not to pay out. I have only ever used Medicare since it was implemented by this Whitlam government back in 1975. Of course as soon as the Liberals got into government in 1976 it required fee payments but then another Labor government, Hawke, introduced a universal health care system in 1985.

We made enquiries about BPJS but I need to be entered on my wife's family sheet to be eligible. That documentation is in Bandung and we are in Bali.

We have just made application for Kitap and so far from Sosbud to Kitas to Kitap the issue of insurance has not been raised. (Fingers crossed.) Any private insurance for over 70s is incredibly expensive. My view is that with funds in hand to return to Aus. if necessary' I will stick with falling back on Medicare for any major health treatments. I believe that if you have a travel insurance package that may be accepted by Indon immigration.

5. Davita

Davita Well-Known Member Charter Member

Ratings:
    +399
    An expat on a Retirement Kitas/Kitap is ineligible for BPJS. When it was introduced many retiree expats did manage to enroll but that was stopped....no idea what will happen to those that still have original membership.
    The BPJS system administratively is in a state of change so I'd keep watching for any news.

6. Dianne

Dianne New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I'll keep watching to see what happens. I have read your blog too. In Aust everyone over 55 is encouraged to have a FOB test ( faecal occult blood), breast screening etc. Glad I did all mine! I was Reg Nurse, and by all accounts you did well!