Aussie newby Health insurance dilemna

Discussion in 'Newbie Corner' started by Dianne, Apr 15, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Dianne

Dianne New Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Hello everyone! Greetings from Blahbatuh, Gianyar Bali. I have noticed that there are several people around my age struggling with Health Insurance issues. I am 70 years young in June and health insurance has become a nightmare! Premiums are exhorbitant for my age! I am a (single) retiree, on an Australian age pension. Suggestions appreciated

2. Puspawarna

Puspawarna
    Moderator Cager

Ratings:
    +312
    I think foreigners can sign up for the Indonesian health insurance system, BPJS (there is a thread about it active now: https://forum.expatindo.org/threads/bpjs-use.1650/ ).

I'm not Australian so I may not have my facts right, but don't you have some sort of Australian national health insurance program? Of course, you need to be in Australia to use it, but I would think that BPJS plus a back-up plan of going to Australia if a serious problem arose would work. I'm probably way off base though - but now you've got me curious, so I'll be interested to hear what other members have to say about your question.

3. Dianne

Dianne New Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Yes, the free health system in Australia is medicare. But, if you are not residing in Austraia, after 5 years it is cut off and you must return, reside for a number of years to rejoin! Like all aussies, I paid a % of my income every year, but now as a retiree, residing in Indo, after 11/2018 it cuts off. However, as a pensioner I get free care if I am in Austr and have a health issue! Crazy eh?

4. harryopal

harryopal Active Member Charter Member

Ratings:
    +115
    Yes, Pupsawara , Australia has Medicare which covers most costs without annual fees. You can pay increasingly stiff fees for private insurance if you insist on having your own doctor plus some other adavantages. On the other hand the private insurers are always trying to find reasons not to pay out. I have only ever used Medicare since it was implemented by this Whitlam government back in 1975. Of course as soon as the Liberals got into government in 1976 it required fee payments but then another Labor government, Hawke, introduced a universal health care system in 1985.

We made enquiries about BPJS but I need to be entered on my wife's family sheet to be eligible. That documentation is in Bandung and we are in Bali.

We have just made application for Kitap and so far from Sosbud to Kitas to Kitap the issue of insurance has not been raised. (Fingers crossed.) Any private insurance for over 70s is incredibly expensive. My view is that with funds in hand to return to Aus. if necessary' I will stick with falling back on Medicare for any major health treatments. I believe that if you have a travel insurance package that may be accepted by Indon immigration.

5. Davita

Davita Well-Known Member Charter Member

Ratings:
    +551
    An expat on a Retirement Kitas/Kitap is ineligible for BPJS. When it was introduced many retiree expats did manage to enroll but that was stopped....no idea what will happen to those that still have original membership.
    The BPJS system administratively is in a state of change so I'd keep watching for any news.

6. Dianne

Dianne New Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Yes, I'll keep watching to see what happens. I have read your blog too. In Aust everyone over 55 is encouraged to have a FOB test ( faecal occult blood), breast screening etc. Glad I did all mine! I was Reg Nurse, and by all accounts you did well!

7. Minuteman

Minuteman Member Charter Member Cager

Ratings:
    +29
    What do you consider too expensive? I recently had two stays in hospital for a total of 23 days. The cost was more than my annual payments of US& 5000 so I see the insurance cost as a bargain.

8. Davita

Ratings:
    +551
    For reference: When I was having surgery in Bali I elected for the best VIP suite in the hospital which cost (Kitas/Kitap) Rp 1juta (US$70) per night.
    Therefore...if I had stayed 23 nights it would have been US$1610.

9. Teabag

Teabag Member

Ratings:
    +21
    My choice will be: 'Globality Yougenio Essential'

An insurance which is underwritten by MunicRe. The essential plan covers the critical diseases and if the 'Indonesian region nr. 4' is chosen, then the premiums are payable till about 79 yrs old. (I do understand, that affordable means something different for everyone)

Service is offered in different languages, about the quality of service, I can not give any statement, because I do not use them yet.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • List
  10. Davita

Ratings:
    +551
    That's a good recommendation Teabag...I wish I'd seen that a few years ago. I used an insurance broker at one point but they never mentioned that Company. It's too late for me to apply now (age 81 and have a pre-condition) but hope it is helpful for other aging members.

11. brian@bekasi

brian@bekasi Active Member Cager

Ratings:
    +130
    Just did a quick quote and it would cost me 14,000,000 IDR per month or 168 million per year to use Globality Yougenio Essential. Still quite expensive in my books. I suppose it all depends on financial situations of the individual but if an individual is on an Australian Aged Pension that amount would be prohibitive to them.

Depending on current health and savings, I think it would be easier for many of us older people to establish a banking investment account where we religiously make contribution deposits to cover any emergency treatment. In additional if it is not an emergency but major treatment is required eg cancer then I honestly believe that having a plan B to return to Australia for treatment is the best option.

I am lucky as stated in previous posts, as my accepted condition are paid by DVA in Australia but I still have a plan B should I need major treatment.

12. Davita

Ratings:
    +551
    I agree that saving the premium and, in effect, becoming self-insured, is a good option for the elderly and one that I used and have posted about here and elsewhere.

You are lucky to be able to return to Australia as a plan B and get immediate treatment. I'm Canadian and, when diagnosed with colon cancer, my option to return to Canada would mean a 90 day wait to be eligible again for their medical benefit program, even tho' I still paid into the system (Out of Province more than 183 days requires this) ...then there might be some wait for surgery depending on medical advice as to my severity.

I paid for the operation in Bali out of the premiums I'd saved overtime and had the tumor successfully removed less than a week after diagnosis.

13. brian@bekasi

brian@bekasi Active Member Cager

Ratings:
    +130
    It works in my case because I have a DVA gold card which qualifies me for treatment of all conditions in Australia including some private hospitals. It may be more difficult for others again depending on their Medicare status and Centrelink health card entitlements.

Another option is I to have a credit credit card with a very big credit limit for emergencies. My bank will guarantee payment in emergencies and have offered me a very good interest rate to pay off any debt over two years. This once again depends on the individuals circumstances and banking arrangements. Noting it can be very hard to get a credit card when your are a retired foreigner in Indonesia. I was refused by HSBC for 2 years but BNI gave me one and then doubled the credit limit after a year.

14. Minuteman

Ratings:
    +29
    Room rate is the least concern when considering the overall cost of treatments.

15. Davita

Ratings:
    +551
    Of course treatment is another cost but, as your post didn't include any details of treatment, nor even where the hospital is located, it was reasonable to assume you meant, as stated above, a STAY in some hospital. This is why I made my comparison to the cost of my stay in a Bali hospital ....and answered your question.

Last edited: May 8, 2018
  16. Teabag

Teabag Member

Ratings:
    +21
    Brian, the maximum quote for Globality Yougenio Essential is 788 USD or 11,098,000 (google conversion) per month by an age of 85-99. (since 1.1.2018)

priceSheet.gif

But in fact, this is also a lot of money. My strategy will be, have an insurance till about 80, afterwards, it will be in other hands....

17. Minuteman

Ratings:
    +29
    Davita,

I'm writing this with a smile on my face. I understand that you are/were an aviation professional. I flew helicopters for 42 years so consider that there is some common ground here. (Airspeed, Altitude and RPM type of thing.)

But really man, one would automatically conclude that a mention of the cost of "X" number of days in hospital would include all the treatments etc as well as the room rate.

We really need to get together for a few cool beers sometime!! :thumb:

18. William King

William King Well-Known Member Charter Member Cager

Ratings:
    +261
    Actually room rate does count. As the cost of treatments is calculated proportionally based in the room type you occupy.

19. Davita

Ratings:
    +551
    My experience is that hospitals nickel and dime on every bit of treatment they provide and the only time it is compounded is just before being discharged.
    My wife's head was spinning at having to sign an invoice for every injection; every enema; every laxative; every bit of fluid they provided except water......thankfully that was part of the VIP room rate.
    They even tried to charge for adult diapers but that crossed my red line and I refused...my wife said "Darling, what if you soil the sheets?" I responded that clean sheets were part of the room rate ...the diapers weren't...:thumb:

20. Anglian

Anglian Well-Known Member Charter Member Cager

Ratings:
    +347
    When I had a serious case of Dengue the VIP rooms were full and I was put in what I suppose you would call a general ward, definitely not recommended, the toilets stank and each patient must of had ten visitors at a time, you would have got more peace and quite at a major train station, needless to say I was quite pleased to be moved to a VIP room when one became available, but at that stage of the disease I wasn’t really bothered,