Annoying expression in Indonesian?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Banana72, Dec 9, 2017.

1. Banana72

Banana72 Member Charter Member Cager

Ratings:
    +25
    What is the English equivalent of 'kan' in Indonesian? I don't know why but that word irritates the hell out of me lately, particularly in the professional/office setting. Granted occasionally the use is warranted, but many times, even when I just ask to confirm something or just to ask a question...like "Siapa saja yang bertugas di etc..etc...perlu xxx orang ya, apa cukup, etc". Instead of answering with "Yang bertugas, xxx,xxx pak, 5 org cukup, etc" they would answer with "Kan yg bertugas disana si xxx...ngak cukup kalau orgnya sedikit"..

Too tired to type up other examples, but I don't know..something about that 'kan' just doesn't have the right tone but i don't know what the similar expression in English is. It seems that the meaning changes from phrase to phrase but the underlying meaning feels the same to me.

2. Nimbus

Nimbus Active Member Charter Member Cager

Ratings:
    +145
    The Indonesian 'kan' is used mostly as a tag question, the English equivalent would be is it / isn't it / does it / doesn't it, etc.

3. nosox

nosox Active Member Charter Member Cager

Ratings:
    +69
    or as they say in Canada "Eh" or in Dundee "Eh no"

4. Davita

Davita Well-Known Member Charter Member

Ratings:
    +523
    I'm a Canadian citizen now but born in Dundee Royal Infirmary in June1937 and went to the Morgan Academy there for schooling....and I 'resemble' your comment.
    But I also worked in Singapore for a few years "Ok Lah" and later In Hong Kong "Buy me dlink?"

5. vocalneal

vocalneal Active Member Cager

Ratings:
    +306

6. snpark

snpark Active Member Cager

Ratings:
    +263
    "right?"
    i guess closest imho would be like saying, wow that trump guy is a total dickhead, right?

or thats what ive been told (not about trump!)

its one of those funny words that has 1001 meanings here depending on who explains it to you, right?

I am always quizzed when people are whatsapp me lines and lines, i have a habit of replying "ok" after each one, to show i am listening / reading
    i am then asked why did i say "ok" "what's ok?" and i have to say its just a european thing to let you know i am there and still listening, like you would on a phone call - otherwise you curhat for 10 mins and realise the phone was cut 9 mins earlier

or when they call me to sell me insurance and start a 3 min sales pitch without even letting me say anything, i wait for them to finish then say "do you speak english"
    of course they then reply in fluent english, sorry pak i don't speak english
    the irony

7. Vanhelsing

Vanhelsing Well-Known Member Cager

Ratings:
    +179
    Botak bule is an expression that annoys me, and there's not a damn thing I can do about it.

8. Anglian

Anglian Well-Known Member Charter Member Cager

Ratings:
    +347
    I hate it when people end every sentence with, “You know wot I mean”
    Generally I don’t

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  9. Banana72

Banana72 Member Charter Member Cager

Ratings:
    +25
    I know what you mean!!

10. Anglian

Anglian Well-Known Member Charter Member Cager

Ratings:
    +347
    I know you know what I mean, Right

11. Nimbus

Ratings:
    +145
    As a point of interest, 'kan' is originally 'bukan', a word that you all know. In this sense, saying "enak kan?" is similar to "delicious, no?". Depending on the tone, it can also mean "I told you so".

However, when it's used in the beginning of the sentence, it means something like 'because'.

Berat kan? = It's heavy, I told you.
    Kan berat = because it's heavy

12. rabbit_39

rabbit_39 Member Charter Member Cager

Ratings:
    +58
    I believe the subtle difference here is not it's use in place of "because". It is the prevalent use when one wants to make an excuse for their mistakes

This is the tone and the typical use that annoys the fudge out of me. Even people who have worked with me for a while and knows I don't need apologies and excuses, just effort and progress still want to make excuses with "Kan ...." Especially with a certain time of voice that already indicates they're about to make an excuse.

13. Nimbus

Ratings:
    +145
    People use 'kan' in the beginning as a plea, so you know an excuse is coming. There are valid excuses, but unfortunately a lot of them aren't.

14. Scooterindo

Scooterindo Active Member Charter Member Cager

Ratings:
    +101
    Annoys me to because it should be bule botak :tongue1:

15. Supir Angkot

Supir Angkot Member Charter Member Cager

Ratings:
    +40
    It could be botox bule, like a high maintenance bule?

16. rabbit_39

rabbit_39 Member Charter Member Cager

Ratings:
    +58
    Nah... The only valid thing is how you did the problem. The excuse is only good to learn from, and that comes later after fixing the problem.

17. Nimbus

Ratings:
    +145
    It's not always used in a serious context. Say you're visiting somebody's house and the host offers some cookies or finger food, as usual. You just finished lunch an hour ago.

Kok nggak dimakan kuenya?
    Kan barusan makan siang, masih kenyang.

18. Zavia

Zavia Member Charter Member Cager

Ratings:
    +21
    Don't be too quick to always brush off excuses and apologies, its an important cultural thing here I believe. I would listen to my staff speak about it, then ask myself three things. A) is it relevant/unavoidable B) will it happen again and whats the mitigation C) whats being done to get to the conclusion I/we wanted in the first place inspite of this.

And then I'll pump em with questions to see their answers for A B and C. Woe be to the person who tried rambling an illogical or not well-thought excuse which is either irrelavant or avoidable. If they hand me the ammo, i will shoot em with it.
    Most learn to not give stupid excuses and apologies, just straight up say they made a mistake and they will do yadayada to solve the problem by xx time/date. But at the same time, and this is the point of the exercise, I am seemed to be reasonable, will listen, not to be tried to lie to, and if it is legitimate I will hear them out and symphatise. The last thing I need is for them to hide shit they did and A and B is not addressed cos eventually I will have to deal with it when it explodes.

19. jstar

jstar Mr. 10,000

Ratings:
    +276
    I also heard it as in a reaction on somebody taking advantage of the person.

20. jstar

jstar Mr. 10,000

Ratings:
    +276
    Luckily the whole trendy ‘Lah’ Is disappearing somewhat in INDONESIA.

The betawi youngsters avoid Elu and Gue now and use I and You, which is weird and somewhat annoying.

Pelakor is one of the newer popular abbreviations, it means perebut laki orang. Or Valakor. From Conjuring 2. It’s more or less a woman who steals someone’s husband. A wife stealer is a Pebinor. Hell to keep up.